Sign in to follow this  

Need Idle information

I have a DRZ400S setup by Eddie with the 39mm FCR, the 3x3 mod and the following jetting:

140 main jet

200 main air jet

emp needle

clip 3

45 pilot jet

no pilot air jet

2 turns fuel screw

It was set up primarily for riding at 8-12,000 feet in Summit County Colorado. But with warmer weather here in Denver I was trying to ride around the house a little and discovered that it won't idle without the choke engaged. I assume that means it's set up a little too lean for 5,000 ft and the idle circuit needs to be a little richer. What would be the easiest way to fix that?

Was the bike sitting around unridden for a while?

Will just getting it warm by riding clear it out or does it require something else? I'm not familiar with the new FCR, is the pilot jet easy to get to or does it require taking the carb off?

Easy to get to on the bike. Drain the fuel from the carb, remove the large cap. Pilot jet is up inside the tube (use a small mirror to see it. Carefully remove it. If it is gunked up, replace it.

Got it out yesterday and rode it for awhile around the house. After it was thoroughly warmed up, it finally started to idle. However, thanks for the info on how to get to the pilot jet, next time I try to start it if it won't idle, I'll check it.