Sign in to follow this  

New rear tire suggestions

I took the XRL out for a ride today seeing as the temp rose to around 50F. I found out quite suddenly that I need a new rear tire that is a little more agressive than the stock Dunlops. The seasonal highways were extremely muddy with a layer of still frozen ground underneath. All that torque makes for some kind of squirrelly action. lol I put about 60 miles on the thing, and was exhausted afterwards. I haven't felt that good in years.

I bought the BRP last year and this is the first real time I've been able to get out around my old hime town. I work down in Jersey, and didn't get home too much last year. After today, I am going to make it a point to be home more often.

This is the first bike I've had in 20 yrs. The last bike I had was a 85 KLR 250. I was still quite young, and did something stupid. I hit a ditch going way to fast, and ended up breaking my femur. I spent 6 months in the hospital with 4surgeries with steel rods and pins. It is so great to have another bike.

Anyway, my question to everyone. What would you recommend for an agressive rear tire that lasts?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Ive been running the Dunlop 606 on my XRR, street legal and plenty of traction for whatever the desert throws at it. It should work pretty good back that way, and it has pretty good street manners. For the front I run the Kenda 776?? tread pattern of the Millville but DOT legal,, and about $40

I would reccommend against a teraflex until you find yourself doing some fairly extreme stuff, or until you decide a lot of your riding is going to be extremely muddy.

The D606 has lots of good reviews, an MT21 is fairly good and maybe a little less aggressive, I'm thinking of trying a pirelli XCMH once I save up a little scratch. It's a little more aggressive than a D606.

I hit 'google images' and search on the tire name and manufacturer, lotsa pics of the tires will pop up.

Dave

Had been using Michelin AC10's on my XRR, they are DOT legal, wear well, good price. After 3 sets though, I just installed a Dunlop D606 130/90/18 on rear just to try something different. So far, so good

the 140 Dunlop 606 has been a gud dualpurpose tire for me...1700 miles of agressive on/offroad use :) it's a little weak in deep sand and mud but no tire does it all :foul: i ran it with the stock front tire for about half of it's life until i got fed up with front end wash-out crashes offroad but the combo works very well on the slab once scrubbed in. :banghead:

Dave, i've been eyeing the XCMH also...the weight & diameter of the T-Flex has skeerd me off for the time being since i wud need to replace my new chain and possibly get a larger rear sprocket... :busted:

...do u know anyone running these? ...they appear to be a gud design for sand and mud :p

TIA

:banghead:

the 140 Dunlop 606 has been a gud dualpurpose tire for me...1700 miles of agressive on/offroad use :) it's a little weak in deep sand and mud but no tire does it all :foul: i ran it with the stock front tire for about half of it's life until i got fed up with front end wash-out crashes offroad but the combo works very well on the slab once scrubbed in. :banghead:

Dave, i've been eyeing the XCMH also...the weight & diameter of the T-Flex has skeerd me off for the time being since i wud need to replace my new chain and possibly get a larger rear sprocket... :busted:

...do u know anyone running these? ...they appear to be a gud design for sand and mud :p

TIA

:banghead:

I have seen one prelim. report that it is good overall, a little slick on smooth rock.

Dave

I just installed a Dunlap D739 rear yesterday we will see how it holds up! :)

I just put MT21's on front and rear of my XRR. I like them so far they are much better than the Kings tires the bike came with. Nothing like flying down a fire road at 60 and having the front and rear float around on you.

I have seen one prelim. report that it is good overall, a little slick on smooth rock.

Dave

wellllll...pulled the trigger on the 140/80/18 Pirelli XCMH from the MotorcycleSuperstore $75.99 shipped (in stock)...

...will advise

:)

P.S. gunna need to get sum Pirelli swingarm stickers to replace the Dunlops :banghead:

just get a good dirt tire dont even bother with a dual purpose because in the dirt they have no purpose

just get a good dirt tire dont even bother with a dual purpose because in the dirt they have no purpose

When that's an option, it is a reasonable thing to do.

I have to pass a yearly inspection where they will check for non-DOT tires. I also ride enough pavement that longevity is an issue, although there are some non-DOT tires that last pretty good on pavement.

It is also possible you may face liability issues if you are in an accident and the other insurance company figures out you have non-DOT tires.

So for some, non-DOT is a good option.

Dave

I will second (or third) the Dunlop 606. It looks way too aggressive to work well on the street. but I am finding it works pretty well everywhere, including some deep mud this weekend. We will have to see about longevity, only a few hundred miles so far.

After taking Dave's advice and googling all the tires, I think I am going to order the Pirelli XCMH. Next Question..Any special tools req'd for the R&R? I have some tire irons from a long time ago. They are pretty short. Or can I just use....gasp...screwdrivers? lol I am used to changing tires on a small dirt bike, or my mountain bike, so any help will again be greatly appreciated

Bill

After taking Dave's advice and googling all the tires, I think I am going to order the Pirelli XCMH. Next Question..Any special tools req'd for the R&R? I have some tire irons from a long time ago. They are pretty short. Or can I just use....gasp...screwdrivers? lol I am used to changing tires on a small dirt bike, or my mountain bike, so any help will again be greatly appreciated

Bill

Use the irons,screwdrivers put all the pressure on a very small spot on the rim which is not good:busted:

Also the irons are less likely too hurt the tire bead...

B

Go to Thumpertalk Tech Forum and print a copy of Changing a Dirt Bike Tire. Lot's of helpful hint's. I laminated all five page's and keep it with my shop manual. There is also good video's on you tube.

If you changed a bike tire you can easily do a motorcycle tire. Windex on the bead to make it slide and some talc powder on the tube. Definitely get some tire irons. I have a pair of 11" and then a longer 16" that has a curved end.

The part numbers are: Part # 08-0007 and Part # 08-0006

Bill

Buy some irons, or else we can get a work party going at my place one of these weekends.

My bike still has my last rides mud on it. haven't done any of the work I need to get it to pass inspection. Hell, my bike still has mud on it from the awesome hancock dual-sport in august!

Dave

my moxxis desert tires hold up well on the road got over 1k tarmac miles on it and it does not say for off road use only on the side of it but then again it does not say DOT either