Sign in to follow this  

Helmet cam

Don't put the camera on top of the helmet. The best place would be a stationary point on the bike like a fairing or least best: handlebars.

Absolutely do not have any camera components attached to both you and the bike. If you must mount the camera on your helmet the best place is

on the chin bar just about where the side of your jaw is just behind your chin.

Links: helmetcamreviews.com

xtremerecall.com

There are advantages and disadvantages to putting the helmet cam on your helmet. The first is obvious, its not called the fender cam. The reason your helmet works great is because your body works very well as a shock absorber and stabilization device. The camera wont be subjected to nearly as much vibration and jerking around as it would attached to a stationary place on your bike. Its easy to get motion sickness while watching a video that is constantly shaking. The bad part about mounting the camera to your helmet is having any kind of object mounted to your helmet is a safety issue. helmets should be smooth and have no rough edges or objects attached to them. This way when you fall off, there is nothing to snag on the ground, causing serious neck injuries, if not death. This is the reason Arai helmets are always totally smooth and never have any cool indentations or sharp lines that make them look cool like lots of other brands. I am only 5'11", so my hero go pro works great on my helmet. We all have to make our own decision as to what risks we are willing to take to get some cool camera footage I suppose.. After all, If i really wanted to be safe on my dirt bike, Id just leave it in the garage and stay on my couch..

There are advantages and disadvantages to putting the helmet cam on your helmet. .......After all, If i really wanted to be safe on my dirt bike, Id just leave it in the garage and stay on my couch..

teachu2fly hit it perfectly. The helmet will always give you the smoothest video with the most to look at (you are always looking at what is interesting, therefore so is the camera), but safety is down a notch if that is what is most important to you. And cameras get destroyed just as quickly when they are mounted on the bikes. You try to protect your head in a fall, not the bike.

Good job guys. I don't Owen a camera yet!! But this clears up a lot of questions.

That was an awesome video. I would mount the camera to my helmet just because of shock absorber effect.

Only issue would be fallen trees that block the trail... I would hate to rip my new camera off on a branch.

Kran...

I know your a few inches shy of the Jolly Green Giant, but at nearly 6'3" I mount mine on my helmet...lower left side, chin area. Works great.

And I run the V.I.O. POV1... EXCELLENT Camera from ALL the cameras I've used over the past 8yrs.

Kran...

I know your a few inches shy of the Jolly Green Giant, but at nearly 6'3" I mount mine on my helmet...lower left side, chin area. Works great.

And I run the V.I.O. POV1... EXCELLENT Camera from ALL the cameras I've used over the past 8yrs.

The POV1 is awesome, truly. I just can't justify the price.

I am using the Oregon Scientific AT series cam. About $80 bucks.

I can't mount this bulbous camera on the chest protector, but I will try mounting it lower on the helmet.

It's really a 'toy' camera, but it's enough for now.

The POV1 is awesome, truly. I just can't justify the price.

I am using the Oregon Scientific AT series cam. About $80 bucks.

I can't mount this bulbous camera on the chest protector, but I will try mounting it lower on the helmet.

It's really a 'toy' camera, but it's enough for now.

I heard that. It is costly... but, man... worth the investment once you learn how to use it, and all it's glory. So simple, yet offers such GREAT feature/functionality and record times in high res. Love it.

... when we riding? Come on down! :) ...you AND the old-guy

I heard that. It is costly... but, man... worth the investment once you learn how to use it, and all it's glory. So simple, yet offers such GREAT feature/functionality and record times in high res. Love it.

... when we riding? Come on down! :banghead: ...you AND the old-guy

Oh, I think it's time pretty soon to head down your way for a nice little 'putt' around the dez......................:)