Sign in to follow this  

RMX 250? questions

considering something more trail friendly looked at KDX 200, 220, KTM 200 250,

just have a few questions about the RMX

-What years were they made?

-Any particular problem area's

-How would it compare to KDX or a KTM 200 / 250 exc xc-w

-do they share an engine with the RM's or is there differences?

-What years were they made? (Worldwide 1989-2001 i think)

-Any particular problem area's (The standard carby is meant for Enduro use so it has a poor idle if any at all, easy swap to another one)

-How would it compare to KDX or a KTM 200 / 250 exc xc-w (it's more powerfull than a KDX250, has stiffer suspension. The KTM i'm not sure about but it's probably cheaper than a KTM)

-do they share an engine with the RM's or is there differences? (There's some differences to make it more reliable and less of a maintenance worry. Makes less power than an RM engine)

The RMX250 was available here in Australia (I believe) from 1989 to 1998/99.

The bike shares many components with '89 RM250 but has wide ratio gearbox and different powervalve, it had major engine updates in 1998 and got ADR road compliance over here the same year. I'm sure some of the other guys on here will give you much more accurate info than me

A really good handling bike and it really goes, especially with a few cheap mods.

I only bought mine recently and when looking into the bike the main problem that kept cropping up was with power valves breaking and protruding into the cylinder, causes a big bang! I gather if they are regularly removed and cleaned it isnt an issue.

I have a friend's KDX200 and a WR200 (2 stroke) stored under my house and it really leaves them for dead, power and handling wise. Each to their own but that's my thoughts.

I cant vouch vs. KTM's or KDX220 but a internet search will give you plenty of opinions.

Check these:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-334606.html

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-336689.html

My friend just bought a 97? sweet bike, has had the suspension done, super plush, great handling, plenty of power with aftermarket exhaust. Very easy bike to ride that does not beat you up, if you get a good one I don't think you would be disappointed. Also, I steered my friend towards one based off opinions on this forum, he got it for a good price and in very good shape, and is very happy.

Most things have been covered, but an RMX is very similar to an RM just with tweaks to make it more of a trail bike.

Things such as:

-Different porting

-Heavier flywheel

-Headlight

-Larger fuel tank

This all make it better lowdown than its RM equivalent, smoother power and longer maintenance intervals. But it comes with a loss of power (not a big deal on the trails) and extra weight.

Carb is about the worst carb to tune for idle I have ever seen - runs well but don't expect it to idle, thats all!

Will leave a KDX200-250 for dead - Not sure on how it stacks up with a KTM. I hear KTM 2-strokes are quite good, plus they make them currently whereas the RMX only went to 2000 in most countries - some longer but with little/no upgrades.

No bad year to look out for - just buy the best condition one. Note that depending on the years some models have USD forks - others conventional.

RMX's are great bikes, find one in good condition and you will be glad you brought it :)

1. What years were they made? '89-98 in the U.S. The model carried on for several years elsewhere.
  2. Any particular problem area's? Nope. They are pretty bullet-proof, although they require standard maintenance (top ends, grease bearings, etc.)
  3. How would it compare to KDX or a KTM 200 / 250 exc xc-w? Back in the day the RMX was the way to go for a woods racer. An RMX is great for a play bike, and is still capable in the right hands. The KTM EXCs are really nice bikes, too.
  4. Do they share an engine with the RM's or is there differences? Early RMs and RMXs were very similar ('89-92), with the main engine differences being different porting, slightly lower compression, heavier flywheel, lighting stator, different gears in the RMX. From what I can tell the RMs continued to evolve where the RMXs stayed about the same with minor changes. Many parts from the early RM250's interchange with the RMX.

Carb is about the worst carb to tune for idle I have ever seen - runs well but don't expect it to idle, thats all!

Which carb is on yours? The PJ? The original Mikunis were great - set it and forget it.

I placed 3rd in the B-open on my 92' RMX. Still a great race bike if you ask me. Man, it feels good to brag about me and my bike all in one post!

Mikuni here as well. It does idle when warm but its very sensitive in the way that if you increase the idle often it causes problems elsewhere, so I have simply set it at bare minimum to run and left it at that. Runs great, just got to remember to use the clutch in low RPM :)

Mikuni here as well. It does idle when warm but its very sensitive in the way that if you increase the idle often it causes problems elsewhere, so I have simply set it at bare minimum to run and left it at that. Runs great, just got to remember to use the clutch in low RPM :)

Yep, the clutch is your friend. :banghead: I abuse mine unmercifully. :banghead:

Hi guys, looking at buying one, doesn't know for sure what year, but it has the steel tank. Any idea what year they came out, or what specific country they came out with the steel tank?

Cheers

Not sure, but mine is steel tank and it was originally from Japan. You wont regret buying it if its in good condition!

Not sure, but mine is steel tank and it was originally from Japan. You wont regret buying it if its in good condition!

Can you perhaps give me the first 3 digits of your frame nr? Somewhere I saw that the 1st digit means the year in which it was manufactured? That one starts with an S?

This one still have standard pipe but went well when I took it for a test ride. I have a DL650 Strom as a commuter and comparing the RMX and V-Strom it pulled really well. This one is also roadworthy, which makes it a bonus! With the world cup soccer next year they started tearing up our roads to upgrade it, effectively making the lanes narrower, so the Strom is a bit of a nuisance now lane splitting. That RMX will work ideally!

Hi guys, looking at maybe a '92 RMX250 as a woods/trail play bike. What's scaring me is the weight specs I'm finding - 249 lbs dry!?! I really want someting lighter than my KLX250S and that's only about 13 lbs. From what I've read the KDX200 is only like 222 dry.

Don't really need a powerhouse, just looking for a light reliable woods bike.

Hey Mike,

Sounds like a KDX200 would fit your bill perfectly if you are looking for a reliable, light and modest power trail bike.

You can always upgrade to an RMX250 if you want more power and better suspension.

Cheers,

Nick

Hey Mike,

Sounds like a KDX200 would fit your bill perfectly if you are looking for a reliable, light and modest power trail bike.

You can always upgrade to an RMX250 if you want more power and better suspension.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Nick. I've actually found this '92 RMX for sale for less $$$ than than comparable KDX200's are going for.

They don't seem that heavy to me. Even if it is, once you get on it and get going you won't notice it.

Hi guys, looking at maybe a '92 RMX250 as a woods/trail play bike. What's scaring me is the weight specs I'm finding - 249 lbs dry!?! I really want someting lighter than my KLX250S and that's only about 13 lbs. From what I've read the KDX200 is only like 222 dry.

Don't really need a powerhouse, just looking for a light reliable woods bike.

RM-250 in that era scaled out at about 225 pounds. And all the RMX has that would add weight is a huge silencer, a double walled pipe, a head light and a tail light and a heavier flywheel. I suspect that just by replacing the stock silencer and pipe you could lob off a good 10 pounds.

And at the point it'll be maybe 10 pounds heavier than a KDX but it'll also have almost 10 hp more.

• Like 1

Good points, zig. Don't forget that pesky kick stand.

I'm running a PC pipe and silencer on mine and I can lift it over logs when needed (no he-man here, either. :crazy:) The stock pipe and silencer are pretty darn heavy.