Sign in to follow this  

problems on a xr 100 motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So heres what i got. Its a 03 xr 100 motor, with yosh 115 kit in it, and a kitco ignition. So the problem is i keep breaking the kick starter gear, the last one lasted about 6 rides and it is a pain in the ass to keep splitting cases over and over again. Any help would be great, i am looking for a cure because it seems just replacing the gear is not fixing the problem. Please help!!!!

push start it. I removed the kick start gear completely and just put it in second and pop the clutch. Works perfect.

Thats nice but i dont want to push start it every time i want to ride the bike.

Do some searching here. There was a thread quite a while back where a guy talked about a compression release he installed. He had to do some welding on the head.

The Kitaco Inner Rotor ignition you have is well known for breaking kickstart gears. There is not enough flywheel weight on there.

Swap it out with the OEM ignition and you'll be fine.

Yeah, a long time ago my friend had a total loss ignition and he used break his kick start gear about every other ride. So the stock flywheel (even lightend) might save you a big headache. That's actually how I learn to work on these motors, because his was always apart. Also, I think Frank Nye from Engine's Only used to use a chain saw compression release. But please don't quote me on that. But I know someone did.

I have the kitaco inner rotor ignition also.I alwats bump mine in second when its cold and get her warmed up.Also anytime i have a good place to bump start it I will.If the need arises that you need to kick start it,you need to start it with the same drill.

1 push the kicker just past compression

2 let kicker up to the top to get full stroke

3kick it thru like you were kicking a 450

I've given thought to mounting the pickup on to the end of a choke or stiff cable so I could retard the timing for start up then advance it for race time

You could also try retarding the ignition a bit. The XR engine likes to kick back when the timing it a bit too advanced. cam.

BBR makes a really cool (but expensive) automatic decompression cam for the klx110. You can start it by hand even with high compression, big bore, etc. It would be just the ticket but I can't find one for the xr/crf100. Maybe if enough people bugged the manufactures of the big bore kits they would make something like that for the xr.

where would i get my flywheel lighten? I saw something in here about that but i looked last night and came up short. Any help? I see that my flywheel may be the cause of my problems.

where would i get my flywheel lighten? I saw something in here about that but i looked last night and came up short. Any help? I see that my flywheel may be the cause of my problems.

He's saying your flywheel is already too light.

i was thinking about putting the stock one back on and get it lighten. So it will rev a little faster.