Sign in to follow this  

Cycra Probend composite vs. billet ?

I can't imagine the composites being anywhere near as bulletproof as the aluminum ones. Also, the flags on the aluminum ones are replaceable, which is rad.

I can't imagine the composites being anywhere near as bulletproof as the aluminum ones. Also, the flags on the aluminum ones are replaceable, which is rad.

I have a set of the al ones and they bent very easily with a simple drop of the bike and not a crash .

I have the composite on my #1 bike fore one season of Harescrambles an enduro and some trail riding still in one piece. lots of clearence for your fingers but they stickout a little more 1/4 or 3/8 per side at the most.

Do the composite hold up like the billet ? Any one use the composite ?

I have the aluminum ones on my bike, I've crashed many times and ran into many-a-tree with them. They STILL aren't bent. My buddy has the composite ones on his bike, he's not as wild as me but he has abused them a bit, they seem to be holding up fine. We're all B riders in the woods.

BTW - my aluminum jobs are mounted to the top clamp and I properly contoured the aluminum to fit the end of the bars perfectly.

I have a set of the al ones and they bent very easily with a simple drop of the bike and not a crash .
Give me a freakin' break. :) Just like all the other people who have claimed that such and such radiator brace broke because the bike fell on it's side while washing it.

Sorry man, these things don't break that easily. Too many people use these items, bashing into trees, looping at the top of hill climbs only to have the bike tumble 100 yds down hill and crashes after jumps or roots launching you in unintended directions and at all kinds of insane speeds. You're the first I've heard that says their aluminum pro-bends have bent...period, much less from a tip over.

Besides, if you understood how these probends were manufactured, you'd understand that they would not bend or flex and not go back to their original shape. It's all about the material and the processes. That's the fact Jack.

Give me a freakin' break. :) Just like all the other people who have claimed that such and such radiator brace broke because the bike fell on it's side while washing it.

Sorry man, these things don't break that easily. Too many people use these items, bashing into trees, looping at the top of hill climbs only to have the bike tumble 100 yds down hill and crashes after jumps or roots launching you in unintended directions and at all kinds of insane speeds. You're the first I've heard that says their aluminum pro-bends have bent...period, much less from a tip over.

Besides, if you understood how these probends were manufactured, you'd understand that they would not bend or flex and not go back to their original shape. It's all about the material and the processes. That's the fact Jack.

Ok I will post pictures up since you think it can't be done . I dropped the bike in a rocky section and FREAKIN thing bent . I really could give two turds less how the things are made .They are not bullet proof . Just because you haven't heard a thing doesn't mean my experience didn't happen and thats a fact JACK .

• Like 1

so you bent your aluminum ones very easily, and you want to know if the plastic ones are close to as strong as the aluminum ones? plastic is weaker than aluminum, so youll probably break them just pressure washing your bike.

in all seriousness if you did bend the aluminum one, just bend it back. it was probably a fluke. the plastic ones will not hold up as well as the aluminum.

I got a set of those composite ones a while back. As soon as I saw them I put them back in the box and sent them back. It was clear to me that they were not going to be up to par for anything more than rock and small branch deflection. At $70 for a set you're better off just spending another $20 and getting the pro-bends!!

I got a set of those composite ones a while back. As soon as I saw them I put them back in the box and sent them back. It was clear to me that they were not going to be up to par for anything more than rock and small branch deflection.

At $70 for a set you're better off just spending another $20 and getting the pro-bends!!

I agree with the second part of your post because it just makes sense. But like I said in my earlier post, a friend of mine has the composite guards and they seem to be holding up pretty good. sometimes you can't just judge something by the looks of it or what it's made of.

I got a set of those composite ones a while back. As soon as I saw them I put them back in the box and sent them back. It was clear to me that they were not going to be up to par for anything more than rock and small branch deflection. At $70 for a set you're better off just spending another $20 and getting the pro-bends!!

The reason why I was even interested in them is because I could get them before this weekends race . No one stocks pro bend Al . My probends are bent to where bending them back would weaken them .

I use to use the aluminum ones they are pretty durable but they do bend. You can bend them back but after a few times they become hard to line up with the mounts. I now use the composite ones. I have several crashes including a 50MPH+ highside on asphalt (supermoto) and they have never even cracked. I need to replace them soon though becuase one of them is almost worn through form sliding down the asphalt. They have been through numerous crashes and always retain their shape. Both are quality products and I am sure you will be happy with either.

Theres a more likely chance that your bars bent and are holding the probend in a bent state. The only way the probend won't spring back to it's "as delivered" state is if you deliberately bent it beyond it's grain structure's stretch limit. To do so would be extreme enough that you would notice some serious deflection in your bars. Did you check your bars? Were you using a tree mount or bar mount?

Theres a more likely chance that your bars bent and are holding the probend in a bent state. The only way the probend won't spring back to it's "as delivered" state is if you deliberately bent it beyond it's grain structure's stretch limit. To do so would be extreme enough that you would notice some serious deflection in your bars. Did you check your bars? Were you using a tree mount or bar mount?
the probends are off the bars and the bars are straight . I don't know what your deal is but you are WRONG . Here is a picture . You can clearly see that the left bark buster is bent in 2 places from a SIMPLE drop on Brown Mtn. Rocks at 0 MPH :)

P1010154.jpg

id just smash that thing back into place with a hammer. i think its better to straighten aluminum with a hammer than a vice. with a vice you isolate the grain and tear it, if you hammer it in you can gradually stretch the grains over a wider area. guys that ski will know its better to straighten a bent pole by hitting it against a tree than bending it over your knee. its pretty similar.

• Like 1

IMO the Composites are worthless. I had a set on my YZ, bike fell over in my back yard (didn't get it leaned quite enough when I leaned it against the back deck) and the right Composite broke. Ground was even a little damp. Waste of $$ in my book.

The Pro Bends on the other hand took a 3rd gear pinned looser down the trail with the bike ending up upside down off down in the trees. Tweaked the forks pretty good, tore part of one of the plastic "flags" off, rashed up the whole front of the bike in general, Pro Bends were totally unimpressed. Straight as when I put them on.:)

Thank you sir ! I am not interested in straightening my current set at this point the left bar clamp is also bent so its just time to pony up for a new set of probends . Where those handguards are bent it would really weaken it and I am not interested in having them break on me during a race . I have better things to do than worry about weak handguards during a race .

wow i have msr's and their al. and ive dropped then and they have held up but i hit a few trees and the bolts that mount to the clamp got bent and one got stripped so im not sure what to do? should i just buy new cclamps and saw the old ones off?(hack saw on the bolts?)