Sign in to follow this  

changing fork oil for the furst time.

is it as easy as popping off the top of the fork, draing the old oil, and measureing and replacing with new oil. I'm only going to do the outer shaft.

yes but,not really, cause a little quantity of oil will still lurk in the nooks and crannies. the question would be why only the outer chamber. you're not gonna see much result in doing that imho. most of the work goes on in the inner chamber.

I was inquiring w/ both my local shops and a local tuner about bottoming out on big jumps. I'm the right weight for my springs, and this only started happening the last month. They all recommended that I try changing my outer fork oil. I've gone from normaly having the compresion clikers set to 12 out to 6 out and it still bottoms. I've had the bike for 6 months now and haven't changed the fork oil yet. I figure it couldn't hurt. Also I'm going to add 10 cc. Going from 350 to 360. Hopefully it'll help.

I was inquiring w/ both my local shops and a local tuner about bottoming out on big jumps. I'm the right weight for my springs, and this only started happening the last month. They all recommended that I try changing my outer fork oil. I've gone from normaly having the compresion clikers set to 12 out to 6 out and it still bottoms. I've had the bike for 6 months now and haven't changed the fork oil yet. I figure it couldn't hurt. Also I'm going to add 10 cc. Going from 350 to 360. Hopefully it'll help.

Open the forks and poor the fluid into a "ratio right" or other graduated device and measure what comes out. Now add 10cc to that amount and put back in. I personally would use 10wt. for the new fluid instead of 5wt suggested by the manufacture. Using 10wt fluid also increases your "bottoming" control :)

having never done forks before... I did my 06 showa forks, both chambers, in a less than 2 hours once they were off the bike. If its been a while since they've been serviced, doing both chambers is probably the smarter choice.

My service manual says you should do the outer chamber every 7 hours, and inner 22 hours... you could probably stretch this a bit, but with how simple it is to do, it should just be done.

I started bottoming, which was caused by a leaky oil seal lowering the oil level in the outer chamber... this triggered me learning to do the maintenance on front and rear, and now re-valving both also. With that came $$$ savings and knowledge of how it all works... etc...

if you work on your own bike, i recommend you doing your own suspension maintenance... it's was simpler than changing the clutch, or adjusting the valves... just a little messy

also... not sure what forks you have, but my 06 showa's wanted around 380cc of oil in the outer chamber... which would make your 350-360 pretty low in comparison, which could be the contributing factor in your bottoming.

Achap, he has KYB`s which require a tad less fluid.

this triggered me learning to do the maintenance on front and rear, and now re-valving both also.

so what all do you do to your rear shcok for service. I have a KTM so its different but Im just wondering

the bike is an 06 and it had never been done... I got it used last may. The bearing in the top of the shock was loose, and the shock didn't feel like it was returning all the way. The linkage needed to be greased, and the sag was way off. Lots of little things... I like to know the bike is in good working order so the only thing I have to blame when I can't ride good is me!!!!

i am changing some of the shims, which isn't totally necessary, changing the oil, re-charge the nitrogen, some new seals, and and the bearing in the top of the shock, and clean/grease the linkage.