Sign in to follow this  

Preloading?

Alright, so today i've asked a lot of questions, but i have one more. So, i was loooking at some threads, and it got me thinking about something that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. Preloading. I would like to learn how to do it, but my dad, growing up on trails, and as new to MX as i am, has no clue how to do it. I remember playing the MX vs ATV series, and i remember preloading by pushing back then forwards, if i remember correctly, doing that on FLAT ground makes you lean back then lean forwards. So, is this REALLY the way you do it? or is that seat bouncing. Someone please help TIA!:)

there are a few ways to pre load, the most basic form is pushing down on the suspention before a jump so that it unloads as you leave the jump face giving you some extra height, seat bouncing is another way, although seat bouncing can be dangrous if you don't time the blip of the throttle correctly or are traveling to fast.

1. Stand on the pegs as you approach the jump

2. Push down on the pegs right before you hit the jump face

3. Position your body correctly for the jump - i.e. be more forward on a steeper face

4. Steady throttle all the way up the face - may need a blip if it's a kicker

Preloading works great and unlike seat bouncing, it's pretty easy to do.

Good luck!

You should try to stay up most of the time but if you want to seat bounce, you need to sit. You seat bounce by putting your weight at the back of the seat. When you enter the face the jump, pull back on the handlebars and bounce down on the seat at the same time. This will compress the rear suspension and makes you go higher. But, be carefull because the back of the bike will want to kick up way more than usual because of the more compressed shock. You will need to adjust the bike angle in the air. This technique takes quite a bit of practice but you'll get it with perseverence.

Good luck!

its kind of jumping on a pogo-stick, push down as you aproach the face of the jump and loosen up as you leave it. you will no to good if youre tense so loosen up before you do it

Hmm.. So, i dont know if you guys do dune riding, but when you hit the face of a dune, usually your suspension compresses and at the time you leave the face, it is uncompressed. So, is this kind of like preloading?

yea its pretty similar except that on some jumps at the track the face isnt big/steep enough so you have to do it instead of the bike doign it by itslef. maybe bunny hopping on a mountin bike with suspension would help your technique out

yea its pretty similar except that on some jumps at the track the face isnt big/steep enough so you have to do it instead of the bike doign it by itslef. maybe bunny hopping on a mountin bike with suspension would help your technique out

Hmm.. that makes sense.. i ride mountain bikes quite a bit, seeing as i cant drive yet, i have to ride to school, and in the weekends that i cant ride my dirt bike i go to the trails and i ride some of the single tracks to improve technique.

yea so you can biuld a small plywood ramp in you back yard or whatever and just practice on that, you can practice increasing your jump length and height without increasing speed. make sure the ramp dosent have any wobble since it would then work as a trampoline and launch you, make it solid

yea so you can biuld a small plywood ramp in you back yard or whatever and just practice on that, you can practice increasing your jump length and height without increasing speed. make sure the ramp dosent have any wobble since it would then work as a trampoline and launch you, make it solid

Yeah, ill have to try that. thanks :)

haha the best example ive seen next to semics vids is on Jeremy Mcgrath's dvd Techniques of a champion. at the very first he does this insane double and it shows him preloading real hard in slow motion starting at the beginning of the face. he is standing up in the attack position and literally presses all his weight into the pegs down towards the bottom of the face and you can see it clear as day shoot him skyward as he leaves the lip. a must have vid with good music and riding. the motion is similar to jumping down hard (adding to compression) on a pogo or moto stick and pulling up (going with the rebound) on the way up. preloading helps give you the lift you need for those really hard to clear jumps.

i watched some old vids of james stewart and watched how he did it. hes prety knarly tho so it might be harder his way. but im stil working on it myself to. good luck

i watched some old vids of james stewart and watched how he did it. hes prety knarly tho so it might be harder his way. but im stil working on it myself to. good luck

Thanks, i went out riding on sunday, and i got it to a certain point, but couldn't get much extra lift. Good luck to you too!:)

you will jump more agressively when you learn to load up i believe....it give you a little more confidence