Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Wheel/Hub Swap -- Definitive Answers Needed

After searching this forum and several other websites I've found some contradictory information about which wheels/hubs from other bikes will or will not work on the XR650L. I'm hoping to get some definitive answers in one place so that those of looking to wheel swap on the XR650L can have the answers in one place. Following are some examples of what I've read. If you know for sure the answer(s) or know of other wheel/hub combinations please reply.

#1 -- True or False: There is no direct swap wheel from another bike for the XR650L

#2 -- A direct swap from an XR650R, including the axle, mounts on the XR650L forks

#3 -- Using a XR650R hub with different bearings and spacers to fit the XR650L axle

#4 -- Using hubs from an XR400 with...? to fit the XR650L

#5 -- The stock speedo will not work unless a Honda hub is used

TIA, and I hope this wasn't already listed somewhere.

Chas

The front rotor of the "L" is bigger and has a weird bolt pattern , so the front wheel of the "L" cannot fit other XRs unless you find a way to move the caliper.

The front wheel of a XR400 or XR650R are interchangeable , the wheel also fit the "L" but the rotor is smaller so the brake pads don't have full contact on the disk ( about 3/4 of the pads cover the rotor ).

This is the set up I'm currently running on my 650L until I find a set of XR400R forks to do the swap.

As for the rear , the XR400R and XR650L wheels are direct bolt on.

The 650R rear wheel is also bolt on if you swap bearings.

I'm running XR650R rear wheel on my "L" right now.

Here's some details of the swap : ..( XR650R wheel on a XR400R or XR650L )...

:)

• Like 1

I agree with the bolt pattern but I disagree about the size of the rotor. The Xr600, 650R, and 400 all have the same exact front rotor. I've run various setups on my 600r, including 650L parts. Saying the L has a larger rotor than the race bikes doesnt sound right, but I could be wrong. My swaps were too long ago and I dont remember years so search my user name and Ive tried to post all the info I have found.

I ran a XR400 front end with a 600r caliper and mounting bracket, I am sure you can see if the honda part numbers for the 650L and 600r bracket are the same, I know the caliper is. That will fill in the holes.

....but I disagree about the size of the rotor. The Xr600, 650R, and 400 all have the same exact front rotor.

You are right for the XR400/600/650R.

The 650L the front rotor is bigger(taller) .

:)

OK, here's what we have so far, gleaned from various posts:

The REAR WHEEL for the XR400R, XR600R (92 and newer?) and XR650L are direct bolt on. The 650R rear wheel will also work if you swap some parts. With these 4 part numbers you can take an XR650R rear wheel and use it on a XR400R (and therefore the XR650L) using the XR400R rear disk.

91205-950-003 OIL SEAL 25X42X7

91253-033-003 OIL SEL,25X47X6.5

91003-KRM-841 BRG,BALL RADIAL 1

and a 6303 ball bearing.

The part number for the FRONT WHEEL axle on the XR400R, XR600R (years?) and XR650L are the same part number, so the front wheels are interchangeable except for the issue with the brakes? ...and speedo?

And The Talon hubs for the XR650L are the same as the ones for an XR650R but the spacers/bearings are different.

• Like 1

And The Talon hubs for the XR650L are the same as the ones for an XR650R but the spacers/bearings are different.

The Talon hubs are the same, except the rotor bolt pattern on them is the R pattern, not the L pattern. You need to remember this if you order a rotor for the Talon hub. I found this out the hard/expensive way after ordering an L rotor for my Talon hub and the bolt pattern didn't match up. :)

The XR400, XR600R, XR650L and XR650R all share the same caliper.

The XR650L does have a different diameter disc (I think it may be a bit thicker as well).

You can use a front wheel from a later model XR on an XR650L if you use the correct caliper bracket for that sized disk. All of the fork legs have the same caliper bracket mounting dimensions and all of the bikes use the same sized caliper. They just use slightly different brackets for the different sized disks, which are easily swapped.

• Like 1

'93 was the first year the XR600 used a 17mm front axle so a 93-2000 front wheel would be the same as the rest mentioned.

FYI, 94 was the last year the CR linup used a 17mm front axle (I have 94 CR125 USD forks) and the hub for that year 125 is the same width as the XR hub and uses the same wheel bearings but there is no front speedo drive on that hub (I believe). The CR125 front brake rotor is a smaller diameter so I had to build a bracket to space my XR caliper further out from the fork to get it to mount properly, but it works. Bottom line, it could be made to work.

Don't forget that the XR650R has a HUGE rear rotor that does not share a bolt pattern with any of the other XR rear hubs.

The XR650L I know shares the rear rotor bolt pattern with the 96+ XR250R.

And the XR650L is the odd man out for front rotor bolt pattern. The rest of the XRs I believe are all the same.

I am sorry now i am confused. Will a 650R rear fit on a L but you have to use a R rotor.

I am sorry now i am confused. Will a 650R rear fit on a L but you have to use a R rotor.

If that's what you want to do then you'll need to sort out the rear caliper bracket. ie. figure out a way to use the R bracket & caliper because the R disk is larger in diameter. I haven't compared the two swingarms to see of the caliper bracket stop is anywhere near close to the same place or shape.

Nummie, I was just confused about the info on the R rear wheel fitting. I am looking for a rear to fit my 03 L. I don't care if I have to fit a L rotor on a R wheel. My plan is to have a set of DOT offroad rubber for riding trails because I have a set of Avon street rubber on my L now. So I just want to be able to change wheels and go offroad too. I have a front wheel now so I have half of the battle over with. lol

Don't forget that the XR650R has a HUGE rear rotor that does not share a bolt pattern with any of the other XR rear hubs.

Umm.. not too sure , I have a XR650R rear wheel on my XR650L as we speak and I'm also using the same wheel on my XR400R , all I can remember is the size of the studs is different so I have to use cup washers to make the rotor of the XR400R to fit. I have no caliper braket issue except for the front.

This bike has a set of XR650R wheels on it.

I'm unable to confirm if it is the stock rear rotor from the XR650R tho..I have too many XR's right now and I'm a bit confused..:)

278253.jpg

Thanks very much. I will be looking for a XR400R, 92 and up XL600R, XR650R, or a 650L rear wheel now. That helps a lot.

I just went out the the garage to check the XRR vs. XRL rear rotor.

The mounting locations appear to all be the same and that is where the similarities end.

XRR uses a standard m6 bolt to attach the rotor to the hub and the rotor is 240mm in diameter.

XRL uses an m8 bolt with a 10mm shoulder on it and a hex head. The rotor is 220mm in diameter.

On another note the front rotor on the XRL is 255mm and the front rotor on the XRR is 240mm.

This means XRR shares front rotors with the rest of the XR lineup and the XRL shares the rear rotor with the rest of the line up.

I ment to say xr600r not xl600r. Thanks Ryan. Now I know what to look for in a rear wheel for my pig. And Thank you everyone else who has helped me out.

I think this is sorta related, but does nayone know what I would need to do to make the wheels from a 1999 KTM 640 Lc4 fit my XR650L? ...Or should I just sell them and buy an exrra set that fits the L.