Sign in to follow this  

Interchangeable Parts.....maybe !?!?

Hi again,

Just thought i might ask here before i go and spend hunderds of dollars on a brand spankin new rim.

This may be a silly question, But i need to replace the stock rear rim on my 2000 XR650R due to a large crack and bend that was present in the tyre when i bought the bike.

I have been quoted a ball park figure of around $350 for an outer rim and around $150 for a spoke set along with approx $100-$150 to lace the rim up. (btw these are Australian Dollars)

I don't have heaps of money and most wreckers aren't very helpful to me as soon i mention the letters XR there first response is, "everyone wants them and we have none" which has led me to inquiring about new rims.

Can anyone help me out with trying to find some cheap rims and cheap spoke sets for my bike (New or 2nd hand)? I'm dying to ride my bike but im worried about the rear tyre dismantling itself in the process.

Any suggestions about interchangeable rims, cheap dealers etc are more than welcome,

btw I am purely a road + trail rider, I do not jump or do backfilps on my bike,

Thanks a stack for any info!

Simo.

:-(

oh well.

Don`t be too impatient,alot of people do work for a living,and someone in the know will read this..i can`t really help you though asb i have an "L"..:)

B

My brother in law picked up a Warp9 rim for around $80 USD.

I'm going through the same thing ATM. I'm looking a a new Excel rim. I'll let you know how I go.

I laced one up myself. I put the axle nut in a bench vise to hold the wheel horizontal (sideways). I used Buchanon spokes which were about $75 at the local parts store. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't too hard either. I had to try twice to get it somewhat true. When I was doing the final truing, I just stacked some junk up on the bench so I could gauge the wheel diameter and wobble.

There are threads on how to do this, so I won't go into it.