Sign in to follow this  

Do i need a steering damper?

Hey all! Im contemplating getting a steering damper however not sure if i need to as yet also they are $$$. Getting a bit of tank slap at high speed. Can this be simply corrected by 'tuning' fork adjustement (softer/hareder, lighter/heavier fluid)? or wheel base length?

thanx

Setup in wheelbase and the position of forklegs in triple clamp can be very helpful to this yes.

I shortened the wheelbase as much as possible and raised the forklegs 9mm on my bike and got a bike that turns very easy, but with the disadvantage of a nervous front wheel in higher speed (hoping to solve that with a steering damper I just mounted) so the opposite should work for you, but you might find that the bike is harder to get around in sharp turns.

• Like 1

Setup in wheelbase and the position of forklegs in triple clamp can be very helpful to this yes.

I shortened the wheelbase as much as possible and raised the forklegs 9mm on my bike and got a bike that turns very easy, but with the disadvantage of a nervous front wheel in higher speed (hoping to solve that with a steering damper I just mounted) so the opposite should work for you, but you might find that the bike is harder to get around in sharp turns.

+1, I have mine raised 5mm, It was a good compromise for me.