Sign in to follow this  

Portland Looking to Traffic Citations for $$

Just a heads up.

My neighbor who works for the city told me this today: "The City of Portland is looking to make up some revenue by issuing more citations. Be careful."

I can offer no other proof but if you've lived in Portland long you'd have little doubt what he said is true. Drive carefully & have more money for dirtbiking.

:)

• Like 1

Just a heads up.

My neighbor who works for the city told me this today: "The City of Portland is looking to make up some revenue by issuing more citations. Be careful."

Won't work if everyone fights them. Ask Columbia Co how that one worked out with me.

The issued me a ticket, I fought it in court with a judge, the officer, a bailiff, the court reporter present. Case took 90 minutes from start to finish. I was found guilty in a kangaroo court, the judge did drop the fine down to $35.

I WON!

....and here's why-for what they invested in getting $35 from my pocket, I bet they spent somewhere in excess of $500. I won. :banghead:

True but that's a BIG IF.

They have a fixed overhead if they freeze overtime. Not everyone will fight them. A lot of people don't want to take the time or the time off work.

Judges need to make a living too. I know at the state level the courts have cut back their work week to just 4 days because of budget shortfall.

The City is being pinched too & it probably seems like easy money & the City council is anti-car anyway.

Also, the Feds give them extra $$ for saturation patrols in "Safety Zones". Which means officers writing tickets on the Sunset's 12 mile straight stetch, real dangerous! :) People do fall asleep on it occassionally). Actually, there's a lot of rear enders but it's not from people speeding.

I would just like TT'rs to avoid getting a ticket. It sucks.

True but that's a BIG IF.

They have a fixed overhead if they freeze overtime. Not everyone will fight them. A lot of people don't want to take the time or the time off work.

Judges need to make a living too. I know at the state level the courts have cut back their work week to just 4 days because of budget shortfall.

The City is being pinched too & it probably seems like easy money & the City council is anti-car anyway.

Also, the Feds give them extra $$ for saturation patrols in "Safety Zones". Which means officers writing tickets on the Sunset's 12 mile straight stetch, real dangerous! :) People do fall asleep on it occassionally). Actually, there's a lot of rear enders but it's not from people speeding.

I would just like TT'rs to avoid getting a ticket. It sucks.

That road sucks in the afternoon-it got it's nickname for a reason....

Hey ChickenHauler. If you have a CDL don't you lose your license at 2 tickets?

In Oregon they suspend regular licenses for 30 days if you get 4 tickets in 2 years. They did that for revenue too. It comes with some extra fines of course.

That's all well & good as long as they don't tax my beer. :)

Hey ChickenHauler. If you have a CDL don't you lose your license at 2 tickets?

In Oregon they suspend regular licenses for 30 days if you get 4 tickets in 2 years. They did that for revenue too. It comes with some extra fines of course.

There are Fed rules for disqualification, 2 serious offenses (reckless, speeding 15 over, tailgating, violation that causes a fatality) in a 3 yr period is a 60 day suspension. 3 violations in a 3 yr period is 120 days.

Each state may impose stiffer suspensions. My ticket was for a seatbelt violation, which MN didn't even acknowledge.

That's all well & good as long as they don't tax my beer. :)

I thought they were working on that one too: http://www.businesspundit.com/oregon-beer-tax-would-increase-price-of-beer-by-1900/

They're trying but there's a lot of resistance.

We'd dump the beer in the Willamette but they'd fine (tax) us for that. :)

No surprise that the idea is being met with resistance.

Give me good beer for a fair price or give me DEATH!

braveheart.0.jpg

"Good" is a subjective term....I couldn't get good beer when I lived up there...had to smuggle it in from the midwest.

"Good" is a subjective term....I couldn't get good beer when I lived up there...had to smuggle it in from the midwest.

Them there's fightin' words:foul:

I lived in the Chicago-land area for 14 years and never had a good beer. BTW, Miller Lite does not qualify as a good beer.

Ya' flat lander!

Hope all is going well for you. I'm sure Vernonia isn't the same without you :)

Them there's fightin' words:foul:

I lived in the Chicago-land area for 14 years and never had a good beer. BTW, Miller Lite does not qualify as a good beer.

Ya' flat lander!

Hope all is going well for you. I'm sure Vernonia isn't the same without you :)

It's about the same as it ever was....I was stranded in Portland for a weekend recently, and dropped in for a visit.

Rainly, cloudy, soggy weather, same people still sitting on the same stools.

It's about the same as it ever was....I was stranded in Portland for a weekend recently, and dropped in for a visit.

Rainly, cloudy, soggy weather, same people still sitting on the same stools.

Sounds about like everywhere I've lived.

But....Oregon sucks! Spread the word. :)

Take care man!

No surprise that the idea is being met with resistance.

Here's a pic of a typical beer drinker in Oregon ready to discuss the beer tax:

300_movie_image_gerard_butler.jpg

Just trying for a reaction or you just wouldn't know good beer it hit you in the face.

The NW has some of the best beer on the planet. Most of the really good stuff never get's bottled. Brewers do smaller batches that they really pour the love into.

Firken parties forever!

I remember in the late 70's Portland refused to fix any potholes for year because they didn't get some road tax money. I was lost there on a street bike during rush hour and cars were swerving all over the place avoiding them. Not being used to big cities I was a nervous wreck and waited it out in a restaurant . Always wondered how far they let it go before they got money for road repairs?

Just trying for a reaction or you just wouldn't know good beer it hit you in the face.

The NW has some of the best beer on the planet. Most of the really good stuff never get's bottled. Brewers do smaller batches that they really pour the love into.

Firken parties forever!

I've always been partial to Mich Golden Draft Lite in cans or on tap. Guess it's just my white trash upbringing (this stuff is cheaper than Ranier).

Found it odd that PBR was considered "good" canned beer when I moved there-in MN, that stuff is mainly served to inlaws and guests you don't really like, and for soaking fish and brats in prior to cooking.

That's all well & good as long as they don't tax my beer. :banghead:

It's 4 tickets in 1 year, been there, done that.

They are taxing and regulating liquor sales instead of beer now. :)

It's 4 tickets in 1 year, been there, done that.

They are taxing and regulating liquor sales instead of beer now. :banghead:

Or 4 tickets in 2 days. It's 4 tickets in less than 2 years but if you get 4 in 1 year then you definitely qualify.

Yes, I've been there done that too but mine was closer to a 2 year spread. Luckily I carpool so it didn't really affect me much. Got me out of running some errands.

What's sad is 3 of the 4 were pathetic tickets, nothing to be proud of 70 mph on the hwy, etc. Just bad luck really. I'd been driving for a decades over the same road the same way with no tickets & then my number was just up. 1 of them I earned.

Geez, ChickenPlucker I Thought you were in JAIL from that dirt bike molestation charge you got the last time you were out here. Got out for good behavior? How are things in Minnaconsin? Cold, windy and Cold. As far as beer goes I'd gladly drink a warm yuppie beer as opposed to some of your local brews. But I guess that's a matter of taste. Some people sit on there taste buds. Ah, nothing like a good cold Olyimpia beer! Gramps