Sign in to follow this  

WR250R/X Tachometer

Im looking to buy a tachometer for my wr250r. Has anybody installed a tachometer for the wr250r/x?

Just last night I tried to install a Mychron3 unit designed for kart racing. The problem I had was with the coil-on-plug setup as the Mychron3 needs to pick up the pulses off the wire between the coil and the plug.

Thanks to the links Hertz posted I found my answer. The Mychron3's pickup wire needs to wrap around under the coil cap. Later on I'll try it and let you guys know how it works.

Cool thing about the Mychron - it can also monitor coolant temperature and with a trackside infrared beacon can keep track of lap times & splits. I'll set that stuff up once I get it reading RPMs.

It didn't work... :)

Maybe you can try the methods provided by Traitech? (sorry for the huge photo) :banghead:

trailtech.png

You can refer here for the detailed information

• Like 1

IIRC, Mark mentioned that of those two wires coming off that plug, it's the ORANGE wire you want to connect your tach wire to, NOT the red one. Mine I wrapped around the shaft below the coil cap and it works fine there too.

Thanks for pointing that out... I can't remember correctly and was trying to search the exactly post Mark made...

Wolfie.. you are awesome :)

i wish i could afford one of those haha. I really like the digital reading. Its very bright.

Has anyone run across any other models that are worth checking out?

For instance Yamaha sells a simple Tach/hour meter like the stihl one Shewolf has. For $50 it might be worth it but I found womewhere it has a limit at 8000 rpm...

WHOA! That looks like Darth Vader's bathroom. :)

Yeah they have a whole line of them, R2D2, C3P0... :banghead:

Downloaded the manual so I could figure out if you can get a location read off the thing...

Maybe you can try the methods provided by Traitech? (sorry for the huge photo) :thumbsup:

trailtech.png

You can refer here for the detailed information

Bingo! Option #3 was the one I needed...

mychron.jpg

I now have a working tach! Many thanks, mtb2104.

Next: adding a temperature probe and hard-wiring the Mychron to the bike's electrical system. I'll post more when I do...