Sign in to follow this  

Broke rear shock 95 DR

Thanks for everyones help with "My DR running rough" really was a great help. Seeking more advice. I've brocken 2 rear shocks on this thing now and not in heavy off road adventureing. What can I do to stop this. The last time I used a OEm shock but the fork that bolts to the dog bones is the offender both times. Solution? and no my swing arm isn't mis-aligned nor is the chain adjustments

1, how much do you weigh

2, did you adjust the shock for yourself?

3, buy aftermarket, i bought a hagon and its excellent (after me, killing my rear shock, then having it rebuilt by a pro, and killing it again the following week!)

I weigh 215 pounds. I did adjust the shock the second time but not the first time it broke. I think that I may have over tightend the spring load the last time. That said it seems a really dumb design that the piston is pressure fitted into the fork that attaches to the bones. How much did you pay for the hagon. Do you know if there are other options?

You must have an unresolved problem somewhere? It doesn't matter how much a rider weighs or how hard he rides, you can't break the shock clevis unless something else is very wrong. There should be no side or bending loads at all on the shock if everything else is right. There are only compression loads and very small extension loads. The bottom fork can handle 10 times any normal loads

My guess is that the linkage bearings are siezed, this will create bending loads. Possibly the inner spacer is missing, this will allow the fork to pinch closed, bind and break. If you install the shock with no spring, it should easily and smoothly move through its range with no binding or jamming. It sounds like you have a problem and swapping shocks won't fix it.