XR 400 - Lowering

I am new to this but I have been looking through the threads etc. on lowering. I am 5'9" but short in the leg (84 kg or about 180 lbs) and aging . Has anyone fitted the motard rear suspension strut to an XR 400R and what was the result? This may not be viable but the motard stru drops the height significant (I go from high on my toes to flat foot). The travel on the suspension would not be as long. I haven't ridden a bike set up like this and was looking for an opinion from anyone who has experienced or attempted this mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this with my 97 400 and liked the lowered seat height (I'm short too) but if you ride in rocky areas it does lower your bike into toe crunching levels. I used a Devol lowering link and then dropped the forks for about an inch lower overall.

Last year I installed the lowering link from XRs Only. FYI...The lowering link doesn't include the needle bearings and seals.

I also adjusted the rear spring to lower the seat height. Other adjustments depending on requirements...front fork adjustment as davek indicated and select a tire with reduced profile.

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=89

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Kouba Link on my xr400 SM conversion. It costs a little bit more, but this is the one that comes with bearings and grease fittings already installed - worth the extra $30 to me. It didn't make a whole lot of difference by itself, but with the cut seat I can actually start the bike without parking next to a curb...I also slid the fork tubes up about an inch in the triple clamp.

I put a Kouba link on my wifes bike and never really could get it to handle acceptably. IMO lowering links tend to screw up the original design and are a bandaid at best. My vote is to just ride it and get used to it. Look at Jamie Lanza or Ricky Carmonkey. They do alright and they are vertically challenged. Good luck to you.