Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport in california

hello there guys,,

am new to this forum. i have been surfing this forum for about 2 weeks only to find the best bike that i can buy.

this is a great forum and i really like to be in here.

what i am asking for is help for finding a great dual sport bike that can be good in both freeways and trails and stuff. i am from chico,ca and i study in chico state and i would like to buy a used bike but no older than 05'. i have 4500$ in mind for price for a really good bike.

i am 5'10" and my weight is 260lbs at this moment, am trying to loose weight and i did throw away 20lbs in the last month.

all i wanted is a good bike that can be found in my area.

thank you,,

b07ammod

*sorry if my english is bad :)

There's a couple of low hour legally plated XR 650 R's in the D-37 Classifieds. D-37 is the so cal district of the AMA. www.district37ama.org. I'd come pick one of these up, it's worth the drive. I was going to suggest a 650L or DRZ 400. You'll se supremely happy if you make the drive south for one of these bikes.

Buy the bike that is right for you and your build and what you want to use it for.

I bought the Suzuki dr650 because it fit my need the best.

However I believe the Honda 650L is the best built bike but it was too tall for me. You can not go wrong with either one of these.

If you have $4500 to buy the bike with just buy a new 09 and finance the rest. You can buy a new 09 suzuki dr 650 out the door for $5600. You payments would be under $25 a month.

I was at Merced Honda in November and they were selling a new never been sold 07 xr650L for $6100 out the door.

There are a lot of great deals on the new but left over 08's on the showroom floors.

Good luck

your 5-10 and 260 find a plated XR650R there is no way it will be to tall for you maybe have to have the suspension re-done for your weight but im only 5-8 160lb and i can motor my XRR around pretty good

thank you guys

I think that there is a problem with used bike in chico, theyre so rare to get. so i think i might go with a new 07 drz400 and change the suspension to take my weight. it will be my first bike so its not a big deal for the power as i am a newbie :) if i got sick of it and need to change ill change it after a year or 6 months.

since drz 400 is what i need for both size and power and for on roading and offroading. what do you think i should do with it as i get it?

A DRZ400 will have more power than you need. As a newby please take a good riding course; it's the best money you can spend on your bike. A first bike is like the first girlfriend; lots of fun but you can get hurt bad. Be safe and enjoy.

Phil

first bike.....i would go used because your going to fall off then after a year or so buy a new bike

Sounds like a DRZ 400 would be a good choice. If you can get a deal on a nice Husqvarna TE610, that would be sweet as well! You may have to go down to Sacramento to have a better selection.

sorry but i have another before i go and get this bike.

many people told me that dirt bikes are dangerous and its risky just to drive them, especially for me as a new rider. so what do you say about that since it concerns me alot since am international student here and i dont want to get hurt bad here :)

Riding any motorcycle entails certain risks, many of which can be mitigated, a few of which really can't. I wouldn't see a dual purpose bike as being inherently any more dangerous than any other kind of bike. I would really encourage you to sign up for and take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course before you buy a motorcycle.

Everthing you do in life envolves a risk and has a reward for the risk.

Which would you rather do ride a bike in the USA or walk down thee street in your own country.

Not a slap at you or your country just saying that only you can answer that question. Goodluck and safe riding.