Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF450X Upgrades

I have a 2007 CRF450X and am looking to do some upgrades. I know there is a couple forums which discuss this issue a bit but its always fun to see what new people have to say about this! I am looking to put about $1000 into the bike.

The bike is completely stock right now except for a trail tech computer. I would like to increase power as I miss not being able to pull rolling wheelies at ease. BUT I don't want to overpower the bike as I spend a lot of time riding on single track in the mountains.

What do you guys suggest??

Oh gawd....This question is asked over and over and I always enjoy it. Very fun to see someone start out on the bone stock 450X with the mod process. Here's what I would do:

1. JD jet kit or Skoot's carb mods

2. Exhaust mod (take baffle out or cut it down)

3. Leave air box alone

4. Skid plate, hand guards, rad guards

5. Fat bars or Flexx bars

6. Service supension and reset sag as needed

7. Ride the tires off of it and have a blast while doing it!

I like the bar upgrade and skid plate upgrade ideas... Those don't come up often.

Why would you leave the air box alone? I was thinking about removing the snorkel and cutting in two holes on the sides.

I like the bar upgrade and skid plate upgrade ideas... Those don't come up often.

Why would you leave the air box alone? I was thinking about removing the snorkel and cutting in two holes on the sides.

I think what cubera meant about the airbox is that cutting it up without doing all the other motor mods first is a waste of time, and counter productive. Cut the top open AFTER you jet it, and you will be fine. You can hack the box until it gets like the R box, but unless you are moving the same amount of fuel and exhaust as the R, is it not needed.

1. Jetting and uncorking

2. Ergos (bars/seat/peg/hangurard to fit you)

3. suspension! You will be amazed.

IMHO

The first priority is protection!!

Rad guards

Skid plate

Hand guards

Everything else comes next depending on desire.

If your a casual rider that doesnt use all the power band, and are concerned with ride comfort. You might want to consider wider and or taller bars as well as risers. Also a pair of lowboy pegs. I'm 6'2 with a size 13. These two mods made a huge difference after a day of riding. Less fatiuge both on my legs and arms.

Also adjust the stock suspension to fit you. If you still have stiff or soft issues after doing this, get your front and rear suspension resprung. Don't do one without doing the other.

Then jet it and open the top of the air box. It's a cheap mod and your motor will love you for it.

That should get you started.

There has been a few suggestions for suspension... Adjust current suspension or upgrade the components?

Oh and for suggestions on bike setup upgrades, I'm 180lbs, 5'11" fairly aggressive rider.

At your weight you should be able to get away with stock springs maybe. I'm 215-200 in gear and have heavy fork springs and shock spring but find myself bottoming more than I would like. The suspension has been revalved and is otherwise out of this world. My suspension guy tells me I should be bottoming sometimes though.