Sign in to follow this  

Sprockets Worn?

Gonna get an Oring or Xring chain tomorrow and was told to get new sprockets....do these look like the need replacing?? done 27 hrs(trailrides only)sprockets003.jpg

sprockets002.jpg

sprockets001.jpg

Cheers Steve

no those look pretty good to me, why are you getting a new chain?

I just have the factory one at the mo and it seems like every time i ride i have to adjust the damn thing.....and i was told with Oring/Xring it won't be as bad.I'll just wait and get chain and sprockets together.............Cheers

A old chain will wear out new sprockets fast. New sprockets will wear a old chain out fast. Replace both. A good sprocket with a good o ring chain will last a long time if you are only trail riding. Make sure you keep it clean and lubed.

You're right to change the chain. When they get to the stage of needing adjusting after every ride they are at the end of their life. As a rule of thumb - new chain = new sprockets. If money is no problem then change them both. I'd definitely change the front sprocket if I were you, but I only change the rear sprocket for every second chain. Never had any problems. Your rear looks to be in good condition.

Man you guys have your own stimulus package new chain and sprockets! sprockets look good, I would get a chain and run it with the old sprockets, have done it in the past with sprockets that look the same. of course I have only been doing this for 20 years or so and I'm just a trail rider, you know the type, one of those old guys that runs two wheels one with a trials tire another with a knobby, god forbid if I had to get new chain and sprockets every time I changed out the wheel,and new brake pads probably throw new wheel bearings in every time as well. Only have 2500 miles on the chain and sprockets. only had to replace the master link clip, the chain guide rubs it down thin after 1000 miles or so.

If your career is at stake because you race, then maybe you should consider it or you are considering a gearing change.

There is no magic involved its a simple drive system the hardest element on it is mud and water. keep it clean and dry it last, wet and oily and the grit just wipes it out.

the only time I lube mine is after I wash it.

I know sounds crazy! but it started as a bet, 2500 miles later with one adjustment ? The shame of it is I dont remember what brand chain it is.

but this is on a orange 300 on tight single track.

Man you guys have your own stimulus package new chain and sprockets! sprockets look good, I would get a chain and run it with the old sprockets, have done it in the past with sprockets that look the same. of course I have only been doing this for 20 years or so and I'm just a trail rider, you know the type, one of those old guys that runs two wheels one with a trials tire another with a knobby, god forbid if I had to get new chain and sprockets every time I changed out the wheel,and new brake pads probably throw new wheel bearings in every time as well. Only have 2500 miles on the chain and sprockets. only had to replace the master link clip, the chain guide rubs it down thin after 1000 miles or so.

If your career is at stake because you race, then maybe you should consider it or you are considering a gearing change.

There is no magic involved its a simple drive system the hardest element on it is mud and water. keep it clean and dry it last, wet and oily and the grit just wipes it out.

I know sounds crazy! but it started as a bet, 2500 miles later with one adjustment ? The shame of it is I dont remember what brand chain it is.

by running a trials tire I would assume that you stick to the fun single track trails, but then when you say youve run 2500 miles and have only adjusted your chain once it sounds like you stick to desert roads and the fwy!

the fact of the matter is, if you get a new chain you SHOULD get new sprockets. but if money is a factor at least get a new coutershaft sprocket, they are cheap and they are the one that will wear the chain out the fastest.

I agree (even if you do ride an orange bike) I would run those sprockets how they are. The best chain I found is the RK x-ring or o-ring. They cost like $80-90 but they are worth it. I have one on one of my KX250's for 2 years now. It only needs adjustment every 4-5 rides, and I'm a B/C rider.

The stock Yamaha chains are junk as you have seen by having to adjust it every time you ride. They stretch out quickly and destroy sprockets.

It looks like you are getting the start of some hooking on your rear but it's not too bad and you could probably get losts of use out of it yet IF you put a good chain on there.. I would throw on a good quality chain like a Regina ORN6...adjust it once after the first ride and you are done.

The back sprocket looks OK but I would definitely get a new front sprocket. I believe in the manual there is a way to actually measure wear on the sprockets if you wanted to do that also.

If you have to ask if your sprockets are worn, then they probably aren't. From what I can tell putting a new chain on those teeth won't matter. Save your money.

Yes, chains and sprockets wear together but that doesn't matter when the sprockets look new.

No way that rear sproket still has a flat top on the teeth. It looks pretty much brand new to me.

the fact of the matter is, if you get a new chain you SHOULD get new sprockets. but if money is a factor at least get a new coutershaft sprocket, they are cheap and they are the one that will wear the chain out the fastest.

+1:thumbsup:

They're fine, If I replaced stuff like some of you guys do I'd be flat broke.

From the looks of that picture I would say they look like a new set.

A dirty rusty chain will wear out faster than anything. Clean it off and lubricate it with a lube of your choice regularly.

I would probably pull that chain off and soak it in oil.