Sign in to follow this  

XR Exhaust Porting with pics

Hey Guys,

Got my exhaust off this afternoon and grabbed my die grinder with carbide bit to remove the ridge I'd heard about.

Anywho, here's some pics:

Before (ridge is a little hard to see amongst all the carbon but it's there:

Before.jpg

Ported one, diameter of opening on pipe yet to port:

WithBead.jpg

Diameter on pipe already ported, improvement of over 4.5mm in diameter!:

Withoutbead.jpg

One done (left) one to go (right):

OneDone.jpg

Half way through porting the second pipe (you can see the thickness of the ridge):

Halfwaydoneonsecondpipe.jpg

All done, ready to be refit:

Done1.jpg

Done2.jpg

I'm yet to "feel" the results of this porting job as I'm working on other parts of the bike ATM. I'll report back and let you guys know what sort of difference I notice.

Hoping there will be a decent improvement, as exhaust flow would HAVE to have been restricted before.

Hope this helps others trying to image what's involved in doing the job.

All up, it took me about 40mins and made a bit of a mess with metal shavings (hence why I did it outside!)

:)

• Like 1

I'm yet to "feel" the results of this porting job as I'm working on other parts of the bike ATM. I'll report back and let you guys know what sort of difference I notice.

Unlikely that you will notice anything just from doing this alone imho. In combination with other mods though... every little bit helps. Looks like you did a tidier job on the welds than I managed. Nice work! :)

good pics mate. So are you gonna ride it after doing JUST that mod? coz itl be interested to know how much difference that one mod makes.

If u do get a significant gain in flow, keep an eye on your jetting, you may need to fatten up abit :)

very nice work.you will be unable to notice it much unless you open up your airbox and rejet etc.could be wrong but :)

Cheers Guys,

Yep, air box was modified when I got it. :)

Also, the bike had a Ballards tip fitted and is quite loud :banghead:

I have just replaced the spark plug too which was quite black and showed signs of the bike running a little rich if anything, so I'm guessing the jetting has already been adjusted.

However soon I will be removing the carby for a full clean and will check the status on the jetting then.

This bike had had a lot of mechanical work recently done to it when I got it. Have all the receipts and total is over $1500 in engine work alone.

Will report back and let you guys know if any improvement is noticed.

Well guys I just got back from a ride and thought I would let you know how the bike ran with this mod.

Note: other than an oil change I did nothing else to the bike.

The results were good. The bike has a noticeable increase in throttle response, particularly low to mid range. It is definitely "Snappier" and picks up the front wheel with ease. :usa:

Bang for your buck, I would highly recommend this mod. Plus I cleaned up the exhaust with a wire cup brush and then gave it a paint in aluminium high temp paint and it looks better too... :thumbsup:

I didn't notice any increase in noise as I thought may have been a result from freeing up the exhaust and removing this burr.

So yeah, all in all a great result from minimal effort and no expense.

Well guys I just got back from a ride and thought I would let you know how the bike ran with this mod.

Note: other than an oil change I did nothing else to the bike.

The results were good. The bike has a noticeable increase in throttle response, particularly low to mid range. It is definitely "Snappier" and picks up the front wheel with ease. :usa:

Bang for your buck, I would highly recommend this mod. Plus I cleaned up the exhaust with a wire cup brush and then gave it a paint in aluminium high temp paint and it looks better too... :thumbsup:

I didn't notice any increase in noise as I thought may have been a result from freeing up the exhaust and removing this burr.

So yeah, all in all a great result from minimal effort and no expense.

Any photo's of the new exhaust look :lol:

Nice to see a well used xr. Too many showroom bike pice on this forum for my liking. Top effort mate.

Now There's a frame guard!! :thumbsup:

Ha ha, cheers mate.

They're just home made jobbies. Cut from cardboard, trace onto aluminium sheet, shape, file, bend, drill and bolt 'em in! :lol:

Ha ha, cheers mate.

They're just home made jobbies. Cut from cardboard, trace onto aluminium sheet, shape, file, bend, drill and bolt 'em in! :lol:

now theres the way to do it!.:thumbsup::lol: