Sign in to follow this  

What do the shock spring numbers mean?

I know the numbers reference the firmness, but a 76-250, for example. I understand the 76 equals 7.6Nm, but what is the 250? How come some are 260? Is that the length? Which straight rate spring should I have if I'm 200 lbs with gear? And in which length? Thanks

the first number is the weight rating of the spring, the second number is the length of the spring unsprung. so a 76/250 would be a 7.6n/m that is 250 mm long.

different spring companies make different lengths. W.P. springs are generally 250 mm. you can put a 260mm on your bike, it doesnt really make a difference. you just wont have the same setup numbers if you use a longer spring.

for your last question we need to know what year/size/bike. the newer models have a different angle on the rear shock which change the rate needed.

the new bikes come with a 260mm spring the older ones were 250mm but ya either will fit, as to what springs you need what bike do you have??

Mike

Sorry, totally forgot to mention that. It's a 2002 400 EXC

I'll take a stab at it, I would say .46 for the fork and a 9.0 or there abouts on the shock.

Mike

the new bikes come with a 260mm spring the older ones were 250mm but ya either will fit, as to what springs you need what bike do you have??

Mike

Are there any pros/cons to going with a longer vs shorter spring?

Are there any pros/cons to going with a longer vs shorter spring?

none that I've ever heard.

Mike

its conceivable that in some situations you could get the coils to bottom out and bind on each other, like on the higher/heavier springs. This is due to the larger diameter of the wire. I have not seen it, but others have talked about it on the net.