Sign in to follow this  

XR400 v 450x advise

Hello, I'm looking for a little advise here. I currently have an XR400 piped and jetted. I love the bike. Always starts and lugs like a tractor. I'm thinking of moving up to the 450x.

My question is this a big jump. I've been off bikes for 20 years and just getting back into it. Been riding about a year and it's coming back quicker than I though it would. I haven't riddin the 450x yet and haven't had the opportunity. Obviously I will want to ride one prior to buying one. I mostly ride single track in the woods with an occasional trip to the dunes where the added power and suspension upgrades would sure be nice. Will I be disappointed in the loss of the grunt of the 400 over the high rev power of the 450 while riding in the woods?

Or should I look more along one of the many woods bikes offered by KTM? I'm just not that into anything else out there other than Honda. I know there are numerous other worthy bikes but once a guy finds something he likes he tends to stick with it. Insert HONDA.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Booger

Good questions, Booger. I switched from a highly modified XR400 to the 450X some time back and once I got on the 450X I never rode the XR400 so I sold it. Night and day difference and I think the 450X will chug every bit as good as the XR400 maybe even better. They are very different but once you get some time on the 450X you'll probably wonder why you waited. Don't get me wrong, the XR400 is a great bike and still has its place but the 450X will spoil you.

Other than the obvious power what do you mean by it spoiling me? Thanks for your reply I was afraid the reviews werew going to be nothing but positive. How's the maintenance compared to the 4hunski? I've hear the oil change intervals are pretty tight doe to the lack of oil capacity and higher rpm's. Thanks again for the reply that's good stuff there.

Booger

IMHO:

The XR400 is an amazing motorcycle. Stone cold reliable, great turning, good low torque. BUT, it is a heavy, under suspended, under powered, and lacks refinement in most areas compared to a modern motorcycle.

The X is much more of a precision instrument, and because of that, you get out of it what you put into it. Stone stock, it is amazing, as it runs well, rides well, and is relatively low maintenance. With a little massaging, you can make it a world class contender in one of many areas. I tuned mine for off-road (desert) and it is amazing.

Some things you should know about modern four-strokes in general:

- very low reciprocating engine mass means they stall easier until you get used to them. If you can't handle it, there are pipe tuning and flywheel weights to over compensate.

- low engine oil capacity: this goes for ALL of the new four strokes, as the ones that hold more oil than the Honda also share the oil with the clutch, meaning all that extra oil get contaminated faster any way. No more 1.75 quart oil sumps. Some (WR450) hold more oil, but the oil changing ritual is so time consuming, that it doesn't calculate into any time savings at all.

- The CRF450X is a physically big bike. It was designed to replace a much bigger bike, the XR650R. If you are vertically challenged or light in stature this bike may be overwhelming. At the other end of the scale, the WR450 is slightly smaller than all the other bikes, making it the 'little' bike of it's class.

- The CRF is not known as a woods bike, as it has slow and heavy feeling steering compared to the other bikes. Many guys, like me, don't really care because we have gotten used to it. But if you look at enduro racers, there are not many X's in there.

- KTM's: no comment. I have nothing good to say.

Good luck!

I went from a XR400 to a CRF 450x a couple of months ago, night and day difference. The 450 is feels like my old CR250 eventhough it is the same weight as the XR. Suspension is way better and the power...it will suprise you the first time you twist the throttle in 2nd or 3rd with a shot of sky. You will not be disappointed. The engine noise from the CRF will take some getting used to, it is not as quiet as the XR. It sounds like bolts in a blender but they tell me it is normal. As with all bike there are a few modifications necessary to 'optimize' the bike like jetting, radiator guards and a larger fuel tank. Regarding maintainence it is more work, no 1/2 hour valve adjusts on this bike, but it is not that bad. I change the oil often, every 300 miles or less. Oil is cheap.

I also had an XR400 some years back. Now have 07 450X. I have also had the XR600, XR650, WR450, and ridden a buddies KLX450. I mostly ride desert - everything from wide open sand to technical rocky. I wouldn't have anything else. The 450X does it all for me, and does it well. Never wished I could go back to the XR400, or anything else. It is a very fun bike to ride, and has made me a faster, more aggressive rider (though I am not a racer by any stretch). Took it to the dunes couple weeks ago and had a blast.

Good luck with your decision.

Hello, I'm looking for a little advise here. I currently have an XR400 piped and jetted. I love the bike. Always starts and lugs like a tractor. I'm thinking of moving up to the 450x.

My question is this a big jump. I've been off bikes for 20 years and just getting back into it. Been riding about a year and it's coming back quicker than I though it would. I haven't riddin the 450x yet and haven't had the opportunity. Obviously I will want to ride one prior to buying one. I mostly ride single track in the woods with an occasional trip to the dunes where the added power and suspension upgrades would sure be nice. Will I be disappointed in the loss of the grunt of the 400 over the high rev power of the 450 while riding in the woods?

I can't speak for the 450X (might be smoothed out a bit), but I rode a 450R back in '02 when they first came out, and decided that I didn't ever want to ride one again. My impression was this: regardless of RPM, speed, gear, etc., crack the throttle and **BOOM** you instantly have 55HP at the rear wheel. I couldn't keep the front end down on a bet. With the tight, snotty, rocky terrain that we have around here, that sort of throttle response is the last thing I want. One errant bounce in a rock bed, and you end up hanging out of a tree. If I had $5 for every person that ran out and bought a 450 then broke their leg and sold it two weeks later, I could buy a 450.

When I finally semi-retired my XR400, I went with a 250X. Sure, I have to flog it like a 125, and it doesn't make near the power that my 400 does, but I really like it and it doesn't get me into trouble like a 450 would.

It's all about terrain - I've ridden in the Sawtooth mountain goat trails in Idaho, and I wouldn't want a 450 there. OTOH, if your terrain is mostly open and fast, definately go for the 450.

JayC

Own both, one you ride the 450 you wont ever ride the 400 again. The 450 has a ton a power but it can easily controlled. The biggest difference is the suspension on the 450, night and day in my opinion. Also the electric start is a great treat.

Booger109,

It sounds like you have your XR400 set up nicely.

IMO, the 450X will be a great replacement for that XR. The X will tractor 99%as good, and have more juice in reserve than the XR ever dreamed of. I also ride single track, i.e. goat paths, and I hardly ever stall the X. Even when you do, the E-start is there. The maintenance is going to be more, but the X is a more technical bike than the XR. Just keep fresh oil and clean air filters and you'll be good to go. The 450X is even respectable on the tracks.

Good luck.

:)

I currently own several Hondas; a 99 xr 400 with a current rebuild and now is a 427cc an 06 450x with all the current mods (air box carb pipe ect);

and a 01 650r with way to many upgrades from HRC.

They all have there place; owning and riding them regularly in there environment is what they were built for and is awesome; but not everybody can have a bike for all occasions.

So is the CRF X the bike that does it all (Ya” I think so) but you have to conceder what you are giving up to do it all on one bike.

In super tight woods the X will over heat so will the 650 but you could ride it just the same; your 400 won’t over heat.

Can your 400 run with the bigger bikes yes and no depending on where you choose to take them head on.

MY 427 can run with most 450's but it runs out of suspinsion and feels heavy even though they are pretty close in weight.(not the 650; she is a pig )

The 400 will jump like any other bike on the planet she just lands like a Buick

In my opinion the perfect bike would be a 400 stuffed into a current x frame with electric start. It would be the ultimate all around bike hands down.

No radiator to worry about never over heat even in the desert and tight woods, maintenance is a breeze and gets better mileage then both of my water cooled bikes.

Look at KTM bringing back there 400 and for good reason it kills in the woods just the rite power for the masses.

The biggest complaint on early 450 was it didn’t hit like the other bike and felt slow::: but the over all lap times were faster.

If you are ready to jump to a bike with better suspension and electric start you will not be disappointed in the X.

The 400 will always be a great buddy bike and a great back up for when the X gets tired.

If you ride in the desert (around Boise) the 450X is a great desert sled. Tons of power, good handling, reliable, not terrible on singletrack.

You may also want to look into a KTM two-stroke. The 300 is nearly the 450X is in the desert but far superior in tight singletrack. Also, you never have to adjust the valves :)

The resale value on XR400s is unreal.

If you're around SW Idaho check the Northwest section at the bottom of the forum. There's usually a bunch of TTers riding every weekendand more so when the snow starts melting off.

"O"

I came from the same situation. I kept the 400 for a spare or to try to intice buddies to ride. Love the 450, but I still feal I could ride the 400 faster in the tight trails. Mabye I feel that way because the 450 cost so much, I don't want to wreck it!!

Or should I look more along one of the many woods bikes offered by KTM? I'm just not that into anything else out there other than Honda. I know there are numerous other worthy bikes but once a guy finds something he likes he tends to stick with it. Insert HONDA.

Booger

Ok.. I, like you have re-discovered riding after almost a 20 year layoff..And I to was gonna get a XR400 or 600 to get back into it. At this point I couldn't find anything I liked. So I just rushed out and got a brand new CRF450X...Now for a little background..My last ride was a 88 XR600, in stock form it sucked.. So I spent $$$$ on it.. built engine, WP USD forks, WP rear shock..bla bla bla My XR was simply badass 20 years ago.(and I miss it dearly and if I could find it I would most likely buy it back.) That being said, I test rode the 450x (as they where doing the paperwork) and it had me pooping my pants, I thought to myself ..''SHIT, I just bought a mountain bike... with a big block strapped to it!!!" Then I went out and rode it for real....AND....HATED IT!!!(It was beating the crap outta me)...NOW that has all changed..I have done some Mods and am much happier now. :banghead: Air box,JD jets,pipe and what I should have done FIRST....A full suspension re-do.. valve kits, springs and aftermarket juice.

So I guess to put it simple ...2 months ago I would have begged you to buy it from me...Now I don't think I will ever part with it..:)

Good questions, Booger. I switched from a highly modified XR400 to the 450X some time back and once I got on the 450X I never rode the XR400 so I sold it. Night and day difference and I think the 450X will chug every bit as good as the XR400 maybe even better. They are very different but once you get some time on the 450X you'll probably wonder why you waited. Don't get me wrong, the XR400 is a great bike and still has its place but the 450X will spoil you.

450x :) That reminds me! Need to sell my xr400

Other than the obvious power what do you mean by it spoiling me? Thanks for your reply I was afraid the reviews werew going to be nothing but positive. How's the maintenance compared to the 4hunski? I've hear the oil change intervals are pretty tight doe to the lack of oil capacity and higher rpm's. Thanks again for the reply that's good stuff there.

For sure you'll get highly biased answers here especially from me. I freely admit I absolutely love to ride my 450X and am spoiled rotten by it:thumbsup: Spend some time on one dialed in for you. Every ride is a special treat:worthy:

When I heard Honda was making the swap I was pissed ( Big XR FAN ). Then my buddy traded in his 400 for the crf450x. I still wasn't impressed; felt like a race bike to me. I stuck with my XR650R for awhile and I almost swore off dirtbiking when I was forced to sell it. Now I'm on a 450X and I have to admit............. I Freakin' Love It !! It will not overheat on the tight trails.......it WILL go anywhere an xr will go.....it won't stall in the tight technical stuff ( unless your geared wrong ).......... and tuned / modified correctly it will rip your arms out of thier sockets if you so desire. They do take some getting used to- coming from a 400 you will have to relearn your riding technique..... but once you invest the time you will probably fall in love with it. Anyone who says the 450 isn't every bit as good in the tight stuff either has their suspension set up wrong, their gearing wrong or they're just plain riding the bike wrong. I live for the goat trails!!!!!!! Ride On!!:banghead::):banghead:

Okay, I went from 03 XR400R to 07 450X. XR was totally set up, suspension modded and dialed in, carb changed to flat slide, pipe, etc... I still love my XR. The difference between the XR and the X will depend a lot on the mods that you do to the X. I liked the way the XR tractored, so when I modded my X I went with MRD lowboy pipe, which makes the X a torque monster. Modded airbox and changed jetting and I am really happy with the X. The only thing I haven't done is revalve the suspension. I did change the springs up front for my weight and have played with the clickers and rear sag a lot, but without revalve, my XR is still better in the suspension dept. That said, the X is better everywhere else.

I am geared for desert, but it handles fine in the tight stuff. I occasionally stall it in the super technical stuff, but the button is right there and off I go. If I still had stock gearing, it would never stall. I'm sure that once the X gets revalved up front, I will never want to even look at the XR again.

The good news is that my son has taken over the XR. He stepped up from an 01 WR250F. WR was too much like a two-stroke for him. He is easily twice as fast on the XR. He doesn't even seem to notice the weight difference, which is substantial between his old WR and the XR.

X=tons of predictable power from 3,000rpm all the way to 10,000 (not that I need to get up there very often). Very good straight line stability at speed. Turns pretty darn good with 22mm offset clamps too... Awesome quality, engineering and attention to detail.

Don't sell the XR yet. I own a 2000 XR400 and a 2005 450x. The X is no doubt a better bike, but when I ride in the mountains, The XR is the bike for me. It chugs through the tight rocky stuff and I never have to worry about bending or smashing radiators. About everywhere else the X rocks!