Sign in to follow this  

Anybody here ever ride Deer Creek? What are the trails like?

The DEIS is out and the 60 day comment period is right now!

The USFS is going to CLOSE Deer Creek to all riding November thru April of every year from here on out if they get there way.

It will not matter how dry the conditions are, come Nov 1 you will not be able to ride there until April 1. Remember last year? It was dry and rideable into Dec and by March it was dry and rideable almost all the way up to the Crandall Peak trails.

They want to close 'little berma', Ben's loop, the last mile of 'the expressway' (the best trail there IMO) and the little rocky offshoot from Trail 9 , I think 16 is on the chopping block also. I just got the CD-ROM in the mail and will be checking it out tomorrow. Most of the single track closures are due to the fact that they cross private property.

I have written and will be writing requesting that the seasonal closure be based on actual conditions, and not a predetermined set of dates.

I will also be requesting that the previosly mentioned trails remain open (each route has been given a # for the DEIS) but IMO the seasonal closure is our biggest issue (because we will not be able to ride ANY of the trails).

A condtion-based closure is a win-win situation!

When the conditions allow for recreation, the public wins. When the conditions are too wet for recreation, the forest wins!

Here is the link to the open houses and at the bottom is the spot to 'click' for info on how to submit (email, fax, snail mail) written comments. Written comments are the only way that we can get a condition-based closure.

IF YOU WANT TO RIDE DEER CREEK BETWEEN NOV AND APRIL THEN YOU NEED TO WRITE TO THE USFS AND LET THEM KNOW. IF WE DO NOT, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RIDE THERE IN THE WINTER ANYMORE!

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/news/2009/2009-03-09-deis.shtml

(209) 532 3671 ext. 350

You can leave your comments on a recorded line.

The seasonal closure should be based on actual conditions, not on predertimined dates.

HAte to say this, but this is really every where and not just in your riding area. The Travel Management planning documents state date based closures will be used.

does anyone know if any date based closure has been set aside on any Forests DEIS?

HAte to say this, but this is really every where and not just in your riding area. The Travel Management planning documents state date based closures will be used.

does anyone know if any date based closure has been set aside on any Forests DEIS?

I am very aware that just about everywhere is taking it in the shorts.

I think El Dorado (rock creek I think?) was originally calendar based, now condition based.

Here's the email contact page, click it, submit your comments.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/contact/feedback.shtml

Here's my email/letter. Go ahead and paraphrase it but don't copy it word for word, they don't like email generator letters. Get 'er done. :)

Subject: Deer Creek DEIS comment

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to express my desire that weather related closures be based on conditions and not on the calendar. Last year Deer Creek trails were dry and completely accessible well into December and by March it was dry and conditions were excellent almost all the way up to the Crandall Peak trails.

Please do not close 'little berma', Ben's loop, the last mile of 'the expressway' and the little rocky offshoot from Trail 9 , I would also like to see trail 16 stay open.

Again, please base any closures on actual conditions, and not a predetermined set of dates.

A condition-based closure is a win-win situation!

When the conditions allow for recreation, the public wins. When the conditions are too wet for recreation, the forest wins!

Thank you for protecting our resources and for continuing to allow my family and friends who enjoy responsible OHV recreation to access this wonderful area.

name, address, etc