Sign in to follow this  

650 primary nut

07 DR650 12,000km Leaving for a 5 week trip across OZ in 3.5 weeks !

Went to ride bike to work and was shocked at the noise it was making

sounded like it had dropped a big end bearing ! Bent down to check

sight glass and F#rk the oil was silver . Ripped off the oil filter (after i got off the floor) alarming amout of alloy particals came out , dropped the engine oil and it was slightly silver. Taken it back to the suzi dealer today (still under new bike warranty) they already got if stripped down. primary nut on clutch basket is loose and allowed primary gear to touch clutch basket - they are replaceing clutch basket and gear and flushing out engine. Hope it hasnt done any further damage as I caught it early. Will have to see how it sounds !! Very frustrating as i am anal about it . Anyway i dont have the time to get it fully stripped down B4 the trip. If it sounds dodgy I may have to buy

a new DR and put all my farkles onto it just to do the trip !!

Its been over 12months of prep.. Will keep you updated..

That does suck!

Have you ever had it open? The nut also has an additional tab under it that you bend so it can't turn. It takes a lot of bad luck to have it loosen by itself.

Glad that you still have a warranty, though, new engine parts get expensive quickly.

There is no locking tab,.. mine was only finger tight too and one neutral switch screw was loose. Mine is a 96 and these problems are still happening, someone at Suzuki needs to be shot.

With the clutch side disassembled, you should also loctite the neutral switch screws, and check the oil pump for scoring. Aluminum chips are better than steel chips but can still score the pump and ruin bearings. A good flush, and many oil and filter changes is all you can do. I would also push for an extended warranty!!

I had mine apart to check the neutral switch screws and the nut on the crankshaft is held with a locking tab. The specs on it are only about 36 lb-ft, so they don't get tightened too much considering the size of the nut. The tab, if staked down on the nut properly, should keep it from getting loose. Hope they treat you OK.

No I havnt had it apart before but was thinking of taking it apart to check nsu screws - I am a mechanic so I am not happy with someone else working on my bike. I was worried that the motor was badly damaged and I wasnt going to fork out for it still being under warranty.If problems arise I will be buying a new one quick smart and deal with it on returne of trip .. No word on parts today - Here we go !!!

Dirtbag i did read of your probs the amount of metal you described was quite a bit worse than mine I Think If it had blocked the filter to the point of the bypass opening up the larger filings would have been pushed through the engine , I am going to check the oil pump out b4 it is reassembled

next installment will be on monday..

When you go on this trip I hope your going to take a camera and share the seans with us, Good luck with getting everything sorted in time for your trip, you definitely have a case for getting extended waranty.

Ok got the DR back today after alot of anxious waiting !! so far it looks and sounds sweet - so much quieter, the nut must have been loose for some time

just put its noise down to the B&B bashplate that i fitted a few thousand ks ago until it hit the clutch basket !! Going to do a 500km run this weekend and drop the filter out when i get home to inspect for metal. Only thing I asked that they check the nsu screws for me but it wasnt passed on to the tech, has anyone heard of an 07s screws falling out ??