Sign in to follow this  

New Yamaha rider!

I'm new to the forum! My name is Vernon and I am from the district 11 area (ohio). I have been riding seens I was 4yrs old. I'm currently 22 and looking for more... with that said I bought an 09 WR250f. I will post pics as I set the bike up for the many enduros/hs I will be doing. with that being said I have a question.

Does the "free" mods apply to the 09 as well? thanks in advance!

thanks for the reply. now with the wire mod you should only do this if you replace your throttle stop with one from a yz right?

Is there any drivability concerns with removing the ais.

It depends. You should just pull that wire and it will be good to go. I would double check though. The ais kit comes with everything. Get it from Yamaha.com

Consider installing a YZ 250F cam. That will wake it up even more.

I did that to my 07 WR250F. It's like riding a YZ250F w/ wide ratio, e-start and lights. The best of both worlds.

I can lug it downlow or rip around on the MX tracks or harescramble tracks.

Also install a 14 tooth front sprocket. That will give it longer legs.

well I have been riding the bike a lot seens my last post and love it. I removed the throttle stop but have not installed a yz throttle stop because everyone I talk to at my local shop doesn't know what to order.

what is the part number to the 07-09 yz250f throttle stop?

I have not removed the grey wire yet but will be doing so this week. I have been reading about the ais and people seem to think its a waste of time to remove because it doesn't have any effect on HP.

So things to come will be:

Tires: stockers are junk (any recom.?)

Grey wire removal

Yz throttle stop

exhaust (any recom.? I was thinking, fmf powercore with megabomb mid.)

well I have been riding the bike a lot seens my last post and love it. I removed the throttle stop but have not installed a yz throttle stop because everyone I talk to at my local shop doesn't know what to order.

what is the part number to the 07-09 yz250f throttle stop?

I have not removed the grey wire yet but will be doing so this week. I have been reading about the ais and people seem to think its a waste of time to remove because it doesn't have any effect on HP.

So things to come will be:

Tires: stockers are junk (any recom.?)

Grey wire removal

Yz throttle stop

exhaust (any recom.? I was thinking, fmf powercore with megabomb mid.)

I don't have the yamaha part number for the YZF throttle stop but it is available on the forum. If you search on this forum you'll also find that it is bad to have that throttle stop removed completely as the slide can get stuck at wide open throttle... You should put a stop screw in there ASAP...

I don't have the yamaha part number for the YZF throttle stop but it is available on the forum. If you search on this forum you'll also find that it is bad to have that throttle stop removed completely as the slide can get stuck at wide open throttle... You should put a stop screw in there ASAP...

will do thanks.

If you're going to get the Yamaha AIS removal kit, it comes with the YZ throttle stop. But definitely put the old one back in before you stick it at WOT. Could make for an interesting ride!:crazy:

And Welcome!!

If you're going to get the Yamaha AIS removal kit, it comes with the YZ throttle stop. But definitely put the old one back in before you stick it at WOT. Could make for an interesting ride!:crazy:

And Welcome!!

didn't know that... thats what I will be doing then. THANKS!!!

what do you guys recom. for

Tires? I was thinking about going with the s12's

Can't the wr stop just be cut shorter,thats what i did on my 05?

The WR throttle stop can be modified, but it's easier to just replace with the YZ.

Also, before you buy an exhaust for it consider the free modification to the muffler. There is a hole that can be drilled into the rear baffle which wakes it up considerably...and it's free. I also can't stress enough to jet the bike correctly. I just jetted my friend's WR over lunch with the JD kit, but I hear the 09 YZ needle is very nice as well (and cheap). You'll also want to get a smaller leak jet. The WR has a lot of hidden potential, just do some searches on TT and ask good questions. You'll get it running well in no time. Good luck.

The WR throttle stop can be modified, but it's easier to just replace with the YZ.

Also, before you buy an exhaust for it consider the free modification to the muffler. There is a hole that can be drilled into the rear baffle which wakes it up considerably...and it's free. I also can't stress enough to jet the bike correctly. I just jetted my friend's WR over lunch with the JD kit, but I hear the 09 YZ needle is very nice as well (and cheap). You'll also want to get a smaller leak jet. The WR has a lot of hidden potential, just do some searches on TT and ask good questions. You'll get it running well in no time. Good luck.

thanks for the info.

This is what I got:

Grey Wire removal

Yamaha AIS removal kit (which includes throttle stop)

JD Jet Kit # JDY011

FMF Powercore with megabomb head pipe

A set of Mich. S12's

any other recom.?

thanks for the info.

This is what I got:

Grey Wire removal

Yamaha AIS removal kit (which includes throttle stop)

JD Jet Kit # JDY011

FMF Powercore with megabomb head pipe

A set of Mich. S12's

any other recom.?

You'll probably want to open up the airbox too... I actually just took my snorkel out and the difference is pretty significant. I don't know about the FMF exhaust but even if you put only the GYTR insert for example the airbox does limit air flow, and I was experiencing that. As William1 mentioned in another thread, even after removing the snorkel it is still limited but at least it isn't as bad.

You'll probably want to open up the airbox too... I actually just took my snorkel out and the difference is pretty significant. I don't know about the FMF exhaust but even if you put only the GYTR insert for example the airbox does limit air flow, and I was experiencing that. As William1 mentioned in another thread, even after removing the snorkel it is still limited but at least it isn't as bad.

I have already removed the snorkel. Not a fan of FMF?

FMF if a good choice and it's worked well for my '08. You may want to also take a look at either an R&D Powerbowl with an adjustable leak jet, or just the adjustable leak jet.

I have already removed the snorkel. Not a fan of FMF?

Oh the only reason I mentioned FMF is because you listed it in the list of recommendations --> "FMF Powercore with megabomb head pipe"...

Yeah, with the snorkel out just make sure you don't get water in there... Mind you the water has to be pretty high (above the head in order to flow easily into the top of the airbox through the side plastic vents)... Anyway, good luck with your mods!

Oh the only reason I mentioned FMF is because you listed it in the list of recommendations --> "FMF Powercore with megabomb head pipe"...

Yeah, with the snorkel out just make sure you don't get water in there... Mind you the water has to be pretty high (above the head in order to flow easily into the top of the airbox through the side plastic vents)... Anyway, good luck with your mods!

I love FMF!!! I was asking if you were not a fan because you were unsure about the product.

I love FMF!!! I was asking if you were not a fan because you were unsure about the product.

Oh. Yeah, bad wording. I don't know anything about FMF products, I have never used any, that's what I meant. I can see where the confusion came from though. A few of my buddies used to have their pipes and I've only ever heard good things. :crazy: