Sign in to follow this  

07 250F Top End Maint?

The bike has approx. 40 hrs of riding on it and I really don't redline it. It runs good but I was leaning toward doing a refresh. I plan on putting in a Hi Comp piston and timing chain and was wanting to know what other things should be replaced as preventive maint while I'm in there. One shop manager recommended valve springs as they weaken over time. What seems to be the general consensus out there for things to do during a initial top end on these?

Your on the right track. As long as you valves have not been reshimed twice yet you will not need new valves.

1. Piston kit

2. Cam Chain

3. Cam Chain Tensioner - I replace with every other chain.

4. Valve Springs - I would go to 80 hrs. and then replace springs with valves.

You should also get an hour meter. Approx. 40 hrs is hard to judge and your bike has less hours on it than you think.

At 40 hours I just do piston/timing chain. At 80 hours you should do the same, but also replace the valve springs, seals, and keepers. If you valves have moved quite a bit and needed to be shimmed 2 or more times, then it's time for new valves, but I can pretty much say you wont need new valves unless you have lots of sand/dirt getting sucked past your filter.