Worthless E-start, should i get rid of it?

I have an '04 X and I hardly ever use the E start because it simply isnt as strong as my leg can be. I realize that the battery and the starter motor make up some of the extra weight that the X is known for, so should I pull them from the bike? has anyone done this? Is it worth the trouble to take the starter out or should i just take out the battery? Input would be highly appreciated.

Taking out the starter requires some work and special parts. There was a thread on here about that, please search and you will find it. The starter may not be strong because your battery is dying/dead. I alwas recommend keeping to help you in tight situations but it is your choice.

I have an '04 X and I hardly ever use the E start because it simply isnt as strong as my leg can be. I realize that the battery and the starter motor make up some of the extra weight that the X is known for, so should I pull them from the bike? has anyone done this? Is it worth the trouble to take the starter out or should i just take out the battery? Input would be highly appreciated.

Just pull the battery. The extra weight of the starter is just about at the CG of the bike, so you probably won't feel it. The 5 pounds of battery, OTOH, is way up under the seat - not having to throw that around on every turn should be immediately noticable.

JayC

I pulled my battery a while ago and so far things have been ok. I didn't want to pull the starter cause I like the option of being able to have the electric start. I got into a pretty hairy situation last wekeend and starting wondering why the heck I took my battery out! ha ha

It does save almost 5lbs so if you take the battery out, replace the heavy azz x muffler you can save close to 9lbs, which is darn close to probably adding 1hp.

Here and I was considering taking the kick start lever off, '06 and it's NEVER had a foot on it.

I hear ya on that:thumbsup: . The only time I have used it is when my battery goes dead. The E button is cool .....but I am old slow and weak.

i was considering the same think on my 04 aswell. and, it clicked in my head that, its just a few extra pounds, and i ride fine with it, and because i ride a lot of technical area, it is nice to have that magic button on some weird off-camber situations.

Still have kick bikes, XR350 and a KTM 500 if I need practice ? Used to kick a 1000cc Sportster every morning, take my helmet off and kick it some more!

Sorry if we highjacked the worthless estart topic.

I don't miss my e-start

even in weird, on-the-side-of-a-cliff situations

what would you do before when dirt bikes didn't have e-starts?

Still have kick bikes, XR350 and a KTM 500 if I need practice :banghead: Used to kick a 1000cc Sportster every morning, take my helmet off and kick it some more!

Sorry if we highjacked the worthless estart topic.

This guy has done his fair share of kicking before. Let 'em enjoy his new novelty that requires batteries.?

This guy has done his fair share of kicking before. Let 'em enjoy his new novelty that requires batteries.:banghead:

You coming out to get wet this weekend? Nothing like being stalled in the middle of a swamp and having the kick starter splash each stroke ? That's where it's nice to have a button.

You coming out to get wet this weekend? Nothing like being stalled in the middle of a swamp and having the kick starter splash each stroke ? That's where it's nice to have a button.

Wife and son are sick still since Thurs. I'm sick of not riding. DAMN!!!! :banghead:

E-start is a nice feature especially in precarious off road situations that seem to "come up" each time.

Hey Mr big legs!, Any GOOD reason why you dont use it.?