Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke or 4 Stroke... FOR DAD!

my son just moved up from crf70 to kx65. he loves the bike and so do i.

i am coming off a xr200 that i had and rode almost daily for a year after being out of the sport for 20 yrs. i've started jumping so the xr has been sold. i was going to move up to a crf 250r as i want to ride motocross. i am 41 and in very good shape 195lbs and 6'3"

i list my stats because after riding the kids kx i'm thinking about getting a used cr125 instead of the 250r. am i dreaming..?? or can i handle this bike and use it for some beginner motocross action?

will my weight effect the performance of the cr? will my 195lbs cause the bike to bog when a lighter younger rider would see a better power band?

thanks for your input.

My opinion is the small fours (200-250cc) are good on the trails, the small twos (<125) are a hassle since you gotta ride the clutch. The big fours can be great on the trails, but they're heavy. The big twos on the trails are light, but tend to be on/off bikes, so you still gotta use the clutch to keep the front end down.

But if you want to get into MX, 2t is the way to go.

The MX 4s are expensive to maintain, rebuild every 20-30 hours at $$$ plus several hours work, where as the 2t MX, you still need to rebuild them, but a piston/rings is $100 and 15 minutes.

now i understand why people put xr200 motors in cr frames.

thanks for the thoughts. helps.

My son moved from his CRF50(4t) to a JR80(2t). I was on my CRF250X and couldn't stand hearing him braapp, braaaappp, braaaappp, so I had to buy myself an RM250...

It's more bike than I will ever need, but I am of the mind that if something is bigger, I better have it.

The things we must do for our kids. :)

yea, that's the thing..

the Braaaap Braaaaap of that kx is making me jealous. it just sounds so gooood.

i'm going to check out two cr's this weekend.... craigslist.

I just sold my '06 YZ125 and miss that bike. I'm 210 lbs 6'2" and the bike was a blast. Just get the suspension set up and they feel like a mountain bike with power. Granted, you will be shifting more then a 4t but there is nothing like the rush of a 2t coming on the pipe to put a big grin on your face! :)

YZ250 would be my somewhat biased recommendation. I absolutely love mine.

Not to threadjack, but by chance do you have a Hayabusa?

IF you plan on racing MX, then go with a 450. They are ten times easier to ride on the track. More controllable power and smooth. The 4 strokes will not wear you out as fast since the torque is instantly there. You do not even touch the clutch for most of the time, which means less arm pump.

I have had 2 smokes, and I am really glad I bought the 450 for MX. There is no way I would go back.

I'm gonna put another vote on for the yz250, just make sure and get a 99 or newer, preferably 02 and newer. I sold mine and do miss it. I think the yz250 is the greatest all around bike made, and still being made..LOL!! it is a great bike for the woods, great on the track, throw a kickstand and a flywheel weight on and it is a really good trail machine, they made millions of them, there are parts all over the internet for them. And it is ten times less expensive to work on than a new 450, and will run twice as long before it needs worked on.

Not to threadjack, but by chance do you have a Hayabusa?

Sorry I missed this, but yes I do, for a little while longer. After six years of loving it I am selling it to buy a liter bike.

Sorry I missed this, but yes I do, for a little while longer. After six years of loving it I am selling it to buy a liter bike.

Small internet(world), I think I met you at the Spring Bash in 2006?

I'm PDBusa at the .org.