Sign in to follow this  

Tall seat

Anybody find a complete tall seat for their 450. I have looked all over no one seems to list one on line.

I bought a KX seat and swapped the pans. You do need to remove some foam on the bottom to make it work 100%

of course, it wasn't complete, in the sense that i had to stick the foam on the old base, and staple the cover on. If that's what you meant.

NO, the seat pan of a KLX has a hump for the battery and starter electronics.. BUT you can make the KX foam fit the klx pan with some foam removal.

NO, the seat pan of a KLX has a hump for the battery and starter electronics.. BUT you can make the KX foam fit the klx pan with some foam removal.

I was just on bikebandits site and it says the KX seat and the KLX seat are the same. Reason I ask is because SDG makes a complete seat for the KX but not the KLX and I have a sponsorship with them and they said they wont have anything for the KLX till next year, but I need a tall seat ASAP.

I made a tall seat using the SDG tall seat foam and cover.. The pan doesn't work, trust me on this but you can swap it over with a little foam removal.

I made a tall seat using the SDG tall seat foam and cover.. The pan doesn't work, trust me on this but you can swap it over with a little foam removal.

How hard is it to do???

Pull staples on both seats, peal back foam on both seats (they are glues down). Carve out some foam on the KX tall seat using a knife or the best is an old electric carving knife and then reinstall by stappling the sdg seat cover back on..

For a novice person, a few hrs.

Not hard. But you do need confidence in the initial stages - its a one way trip. Here's what to do:

1) Take original cover off, by levering out staples. Actually, after a few have come off - I find you can just pull on the cover and most of the rest pop out. If not, the worst that happens is your old seat cover has a small rip in it. Not a problem - even if you want to re-use the cover.

2) Rip off old seat foam. I found on my old CRFX it pretty much came off easily, but on the KLX the foal ripped a bit leaving some chunks that needed more work to get off. That's why its a one way street - the chances of getting the foam off in a single nice piece to be re-used are not great.

3) The seat base needs to be cleaned. After much scraping away at the bits of foam and glue left, I eventually admitted defeat and used petrol. Not safe, not clever, but it did work. Quickly.

4) Next glue the new foam on. I used UHU Power Contact Adhesive.

5) Once the glue has tried its on to the new over. I guess that its a bit of an art that you get better at each time. You need to keep everything nice and tight - in fact I ended up bending the seat upwards to acheive this - so that there were no wrinkles on top. Its good to have a look at how the cover is stapled on beforehand for clues. What I ended up with looked a mess (underneath) put was nice and smooth on the top and is totally secure. If the worst comes to the worst you can always take the staples out and start again if it all goes horribly wrong.

Mine isn't perfect, but its good enough. Its slightly warped the foam at the tank end, and I managed to get the Guts Racing logo a bit off centre. But you can take more care than me and yours will be perfect.