Sign in to follow this  

Can I "jet" my truck?

First off its a 93 f-150 5.0 with efi so I know I cant really jet it, but the reason i ask is that I have a Glass Pack Cherry Bomb muffler with a gutted cat and a K&N filter and an intake I made myself. It runs fine, I just want to make sure that there isn't something I can do to adjust for the changes in air flow and back pressure. Should I disconnect the battery to reset everything?

K&N, good.

Cherry bomb is a personal preference, neither good nor bad.

Gutted cat is old school bad advice. Depending on how many O2 sensors and where they're located, you at best did nothing positive and at worse are wasting fuel.

Try to find one to replace it with, check eBay.

The EFI should easily account for the other two changes without any problems.

K&N, good.

Cherry bomb is a personal preference, neither good nor bad.

Gutted cat is old school bad advice. Depending on how many O2 sensors and where they're located, you at best did nothing positive and at worse are wasting fuel.

Try to find one to replace it with, check eBay.

The EFI should easily account for the other two changes without any problems.

Truck passed emissions with flying colors and I was told by the man "that was the quickest pass I've had in about a year" o2 censor is before the cat my friend :)

Truck passed emissions with flying colors and I was told by the man "that was the quickest pass I've had in about a year" o2 censor is before the cat my friend :)

ha we dont have to worry about emissions if your truck is over ten years old. the hicks really like that at our school cause they all torch off their exhausts right after the headers and all kinds of other stupid crap.

First off its a 93 f-150 5.0 with efi so I know I cant really jet it, but the reason i ask is that I have a Glass Pack Cherry Bomb muffler with a gutted cat and a K&N filter and an intake I made myself. It runs fine, I just want to make sure that there isn't something I can do to adjust for the changes in air flow and back pressure. Should I disconnect the battery to reset everything?

Headers. Remap too, or something along those lines. Many vehicles are set up lean from the factory.

You could also upgrade the ignition...MSD, Accel, and Jacobs are popular.

Truck passed emissions with flying colors and I was told by the man "that was the quickest pass I've had in about a year"
I don't know how MD does emissions.

In PA, there's three methods, sniffer, visual and OBD. Your truck would pass visual, might pass OBD and would never pass sniffer.

That's besides the point.

o2 censor is before the cat my friend :)
O2 is not always before the cat. I've had vehicles where the O2 is in the cat and I've had one that had one before and after the cat, which made it ungodly expensive to repair since you had to buy four (V6) to replace them. Seemed like on that vehicle, when one failed, the others would follow suit.

All they do in MD if your vehicle is more than so many years old is put a tube on your pipe and measure the carbon output and other stuff like that. Theyre supposed to look for everything underneath but they never do.

A guy I knew had gotten an emissions slip in the mail abd he had a 95 f-250 diesel with alot of mods. He told them that he isnt supposed to get one since diesels are exempt but they insisted so he goes up there, turns the chip up and totally destroys the sensors in the machine by coverin them in soot

ha we dont have to worry about emissions if your truck is over ten years old. the hicks really like that at our school cause they all torch off their exhausts right after the headers and all kinds of other stupid crap.

thats a good way to blow up your motor. I agree with you that it does get kind of annoying but Im not the guy with open pipes who likes to race from red light to red light :)

thats a good way to blow up your motor. I agree with you that it does get kind of annoying but Im not the guy with open pipes who likes to race from red light to red light :)

It won't "blow up" a motor with real headers, but there is a possibility of damage if they do this with stock exhaust manifolds.

People run open header at dragstrips all the time at high rpm's ----- but for the street -- a nice tuned exhaust system with your choice of muffler (Borla, magnaflow, flowmaster - etc) sounds much better. I dont know why folks still run open pipes on the street (except diesels, where i hear its a popular practice)

Because they've been conditioned that loud=power.

Drag strip = straight pipes or open = loud = lots of power

NASCAR = really short exhaust = fast = lots of power

So if I make my vehicle as loud as possible, it must make lots of power, right?:)

I've driven a few whisper quiet cars that will knock your socks off if you can find a place to do it. (unfortunately, they weren't mine, so I couldn't find a place to do it)

BTW, diesels, most any way have a turbo in the exhaust, which quiets them down a good bit. Non-turbo diesel won't make nearly as much power.

Because they've been conditioned that loud=power.

Drag strip = straight pipes or open = loud = lots of power

NASCAR = really short exhaust = fast = lots of power

So if I make my vehicle as loud as possible, it must make lots of power, right?:thumbsup:

I've driven a few whisper quiet cars that will knock your socks off if you can find a place to do it. (unfortunately, they weren't mine, so I couldn't find a place to do it)

BTW, diesels, most any way have a turbo in the exhaust, which quiets them down a good bit. Non-turbo diesel won't make nearly as much power.

The turbo is concidered a mufflering device, but doesnt quiet things down much. I have strait 4" pipe on my cummins and it is a tad loud. Low egt's, better mpg, and more exhaust flow is my justification for removing the cat and muffler.

I thought all diesels have no emisions control devices in the exhaust, yours is the first I heard of that had a cat.

Turbo minus muffler is fine in my book, good cats aren't very restrictive, some which is more than can be said for a few "performance" mufflers.

I'll dig out the flow bench results if I have time.

I thought all diesels have no emisions control devices in the exhaust, yours is the first I heard of that had a cat.

Turbo minus muffler is fine in my book, good cats aren't very restrictive, some which is more than can be said for a few "performance" mufflers.

2004.5 dodge put a cat on the cummins. Even the diesel's cat clogs around 40k miles. All new diesels (i think 07 and newer but not real sure on the exact year) have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) My 04.5 had no 02 sensor after the cat so it runs normal. The newer diesels have a sensor after the DPF and you have to fool the computer if you remove it. With the addition of cat's and DPF milage is going down and egt's are going up.

I will have to take my truck through emmisions in the fall. I would fail a viusal inspection, pass the opacity (with tuner turned off), and would fail a decible test if it is given (not sure yet). My truck is a little loud outside the truck, but is fine inside. But I get 17mpg in town and 25mpg doing 60-65mph. This is a huge jump (+3 and + 4 mpg respectivly)

Just an FYI.

My 01 dodge had a cat on it as well. I just have straight exhaust as well for lower egts, better flow, etc. O ya and dont forget the sound of a Straight piped cummins:thumbsup:

My 01 dodge had a cat on it as well. I just have straight exhaust as well for lower egts, better flow, etc. O ya and dont forget the sound of a Straight piped cummins:thumbsup:

Was your truck from Cali?

+1 on strait piped cummins, I love the sound when she hits overdrive:worthy: .

Was your truck from Cali?

+1 on strait piped cummins, I love the sound when she hits overdrive:worthy: .

I honestly couldnt tell ya i dont think it was.

O ya when she is locked up it sounds good and you can roll some coal big time!

To answer your original question, the typical thing to do is to get a programmer and have someone make you a custom tune for all of your accessories so the truck will use them to their fullest

I honestly couldnt tell ya i dont think it was.

O ya when she is locked up it sounds good and you can roll some coal big time!

TC lock + 4th gear + smoke switch = coal :thumbsup:

TC lock + 4th gear + smoke switch = coal :thumbsup:

Ya i still need a boost fooler to roll some coal. My buddy is letting me mess with his Smarty this weekend at the dyno i cant wait.

The boost fooler is ok, nothing compared to a programer. I have a superchips 3805, a quad boost fooler, AFE cold air intake stage 2, strait 4", and the smoke switch. Join cumminsforum.com. It is real similar to TT. Good site.