DR-Z 400E vs DR-Z 400SM - Differences?!

Hey!

I can't decided either to get a DR-Z 400E or a DR-Z 400SM... 60-70% of my riding will be on the road, and the remaining 30-40% will be on very rough terrain for 3-12 hour endurance races, trail bike riding etc etc...

So what are the differences between the DR-Z 400E and the DR-Z 400SM? I know the 400E is lighter, has higher compression, bigger carby etc etc..

Is it better to put Super Motard wheels on a 400E or MotorX wheels on 400SM?

Would the SM suspension cope with really rough dirt biking terrain or is that bike just not built for that sort of stuff?

And... Can the 400E reach about 100-110kph (60-70mph) easily?

Thanks in advanced.

Caleb.

Well, the obvious difference is the different sized wheels. The E comes with 18-21 and the SM comes with 17" street tires.

If you plan to switch wheels back and forth, I'd buy the E since it has the upgraded motor with better carbs and such. [assumign the auzzie spec E still does] Then buy the SM wheelset seperatly. [warp 9's will run you around a grand]

Top speed is a matter of gearing, but 70mph is easily doable.

I think its cheeper to make a sm dirt worthy than a E street worthy

I think it probably depends on what you want in the end. Hell, its 550 bucks just for the carb, then hrow in a couple of hundy to upgrade the cams.

Not sure what the price difference is in the U.K. but here the E was at least 500 bucks cheaper than the SM.

So, 550 carb, 200 cams, 500 cheaper plus its gonna cost you 500 for dirt wheels.

That puts you with over 1,500 to spend on a nice SM setup.

In Australia, an E is already street legal.

Yes that's right, so I can buy a 400E that is already on the road and buy some SM wheels and tires for it, or I can buy a 400SM or get MotorX wheels and tires on it..

Some people say that the 400E has way more power than the 400SM because the 400SM is tuned-down for on the road. Is this true? I know the 400E has a bigger and better carby, better pipe etc..

Welcome Caleb,

I have a 2009 Aussie 400E which I wanted to buy primarily to be used as a dirt bike. It absolutely rips and except for a bit of extra weight over a 250 and maybe the new 450's I can't fault it. It was set up at the dealer who removed some of the carb and exhaust restrictors so it now goes as it was intended. A bit loud but bloody hell it goes!!

However, it is no fun on the road. Tyres and gearing work against it here. You can gear them up but for dirt riding I wouldn't want to lose what it's got now. If you honestly need 100-110 kph you'll compromise the gearing too much in my opinion. As it is 80-90 kph is about max speed comfortably before the vibes set in. Knobby tyres also hate tar roads. I know you change tyres and gearing but I only have so many hours in the day!!

Have you looked at the 400S. It's still a compromise but might be closer than either of the other 2 you mention. Obviously less power, more weight etc but there are plenty here on this website that can help you there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hey Chookie!

Thanks heaps for the info..

It was set up at the dealer who removed some of the carb and exhaust restrictors so it now goes as it was intended. A bit loud but bloody hell it goes!!

That's awesome! Good idea, I've heard from many people that these bikes can be done up really easily.. But sometimes pricey.

Knobby tyres also hate tar roads. I know you change tyres and gearing but I only have so many hours in the day!!

Yeah it is a bit annoying swapping wheels around, but I would do it once a week tops..

Have you looked at the 400S. It's still a compromise but might be closer than either of the other 2 you mention. Obviously less power, more weight etc but there are plenty here on this website that can help you there.

I've looked at those bikes and they're not for me.. They aren't really a full enduro bike like the 400E, and not really a street bike like the 400SM... They're in-between. And not powerful enough for me ?

Thanks heaps for your owner's point of view, the 400E sounds like a really good bike that will be useful for me. I don't mind if it's only comfortable at 80-90kph, I don't plan on using the freeway.

Thanks!

What is the price diff in OZ? I bought a 2005 S in 2006 and with what i saved, I paid for most of the SM Wheel set.

So if an E is street legal in OZ and $800-$1000 cheaper than the SM, get it and cruise with the knobbies for a few weeks until you get your SM set.

When you set your wheels up, put a 38 or 41T sprocket on your SM set. If the E comes with a 14 up front try going to a 15. its a good compromise and it should do fine .

Get your rad guards, Case guards and hand guards on ASAP, before you ever take it out of the garage. Rads are like $300 per side in the US so $100 guards are cheap.

So if an E is street legal in OZ and $800-$1000 cheaper than the SM, get it and cruise with the knobbies for a few weeks until you get your SM set.

At the moment I'm looking at 2nd hand bikes and the 400E is cheaper than the SM and the S.

Get your rad guards, Case guards and hand guards on ASAP.

What are case guards?

Thanks Goebz!

When I bought my 2008 SM in may last year , they were selling the E for exactly the same price , $8990 aussie dollars

Yeah early this year the 2008 DR-Z400's were selling for very cheap due to the 2009 model being released...

THEy are stamped aluminum pieces that go on your side cases to keep your shifter and brake pedal from poking through the magnsium in the case of a lay down.

BP_CFC_CASE-2.jpg

BP_CFC_CASE-4.jpg

Check the FAQ thread at the top of the forum.

Over here the E was gone after 07 b/c they made is an S without lights, guys got smart. SM'a are super popular and they get full retail (or were) and S models stay around longer and earlier to find a deal.

2009 MSRP Street prices differ.

DR-Z400SM

$6,699

DR-Z400S

$6,099

Hey!

I can't decided either to get a DR-Z 400E or a DR-Z 400SM... 60-70% of my riding will be on the road, and the remaining 30-40% will be on very rough terrain for 3-12 hour endurance races, trail bike riding etc etc...

So what are the differences between the DR-Z 400E and the DR-Z 400SM? I know the 400E is lighter, has higher compression, bigger carby etc etc..

Is it better to put Super Motard wheels on a 400E or MotorX wheels on 400SM?

Would the SM suspension cope with really rough dirt biking terrain or is that bike just not built for that sort of stuff?

Thanks in advanced.

Caleb.

I would go the E Caleb . The Sm is good but it doesnt have the compression or carby that the E does , so you would want to buy these later . You say you are going to do some very rough trails , that would decide it for me , it would be an E . Just buy some rims and sprockets , at a later date so you can enjoy it on the road as well , greg ?

With the correct gearing, 400E takes it easily. I've got 15/47, inner city and trails it's pretty nice, maybe abit short for freeway riding but it holds up fine.