1999 Cr 250 front fork rebuild

My front right side fork is leaking oil, and I was woundering how it affects handling and if i keep riding the bike like this will it ruin anything else? The shop is asking for 250.00 to rebuild the forks and right know i just have to wait to get them fixed. Any advice?

My front right side fork is leaking oil, and I was woundering how it affects handling and if i keep riding the bike like this will it ruin anything else? The shop is asking for 250.00 to rebuild the forks and right know i just have to wait to get them fixed. Any advice?

10 year old forks prob due for a rebuild.... go to the pivotworks website and check out the "installation" video. I rebuilt my 99 , kit cost like $75... just have a really clean work area and watch the video a few times, it is pretty easy to do and will def save some money! Prob not the best advice, but I did not invest in the "fork wrench" at the time of my rebuild, I used a soft rag and very large adj, pliers(carefully) to remove my fork caps. I used extreme caution without tearing up the brass on my caps!!! I now have all the necessary tools to due the job each season due to the noticable differance in function of the front end!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a few days old, but rebuilding your forks takes maybe 15 minutes and the cost of seals and oil. I just did both forks on my '97 250. The dealerships are the biggest ripoffs ever when it comes to suspension.

well you need to invest a few dollars on a cap wrench and fork seal driver. Once you have that investment, then you are good.

If you keep running the bike with a leaking seal on the TC forks, you will wear out the bushings very fast since they will have no lubrication. Then you are into it more than a pair of $25 seals. You will need the entire pivot works $75 kit.