Sign in to follow this  

120/100 X 18 fitment on a XR250R

as per the subject line. Looks a little big to me, but! I think it will fit. I like a BIG beefey looking rear, the 100/100 X 18 on thier now is a weenie.

(this is a Kenda Millville by the way)

should fit..really big tire though it is going to affect handling in a big way.

If you haven't bought the 120 yet I would recommend a 110 as the biggest you should go with. A 120 is a serious overkill amount of rubber for a 250.

I have a 120 / 100 X 18 Maxxis Desert IT on my XR4 right now. It fits fine but I did not like it.

To much traction for the long hill climbs.....

Too Tall..... Had to add another 5mm of sag to get rid of the high speed head shake

I will be going back to a 110 on my next tire

It will fit I have one on my 250 and its nice. Hooks up great in everything pretty much and wear is decent on it. But the 120/100 X 18 is tall as Triple B said. I have a Maxxis IT 100/100 X 18 I will be putting on for this summer to try because my friend recommended it. If I don't like it I wil be going back to the Kenda Millville though.

I have a 120 / 100 X 18 Maxxis Desert IT on my XR4 right now. It fits fine but I did not like it.

To much traction for the long hill climbs.....

Too Tall..... Had to add another 5mm of sag to get rid of the high speed head shake

I will be going back to a 110 on my next tire

May i ask why traction is bad?

May i ask why traction is bad?

Traction is a good but there is such a thing as “to much good stuff”. As we all know a XR400 is very limited on power (XR250 even more so) on the long hill climbs I am unable to keep the RPMs up and she would just bog down (even with a 47 tooth rear sprocket) Also in the high speed sand wash I was unable to pull 5th gear in the upper RPM range (with a 45 tooth rear sprocket)

My experience and my riding style back to back the 110 Maxxis desert IT to the 120 maxis desert IT I prefer the 110. The XR400 does not have enough power to pull a 120 rear tire. Although I do like the 120 now that there is less than 50% tread left.

The main reason for trying out the 120 was I wanted more stopping power and it did not even help out with that.

Traction is a good but there is such a thing as “to much good stuff”. As we all know a XR400 is very limited on power (XR250 even more so) on the long hill climbs I am unable to keep the RPMs up and she would just bog down (even with a 47 tooth rear sprocket) Also in the high speed sand wash I was unable to pull 5th gear in the upper RPM range (with a 45 tooth rear sprocket)

My experience and my riding style back to back the 110 Maxxis desert IT to the 120 maxis desert IT I prefer the 110. The XR400 does not have enough power to pull a 120 rear tire. Although I do like the 120 now that there is less than 50% tread left.

The main reason for trying out the 120 was I wanted more stopping power and it did not even help out with that.

hmmm, good point. I haven't noticed it as much as you. I can pull wheelies in 5th going up logging roads, and have no real problems on sandy hill climbs out here. I am running stock gearing too. we also ride very different riding conditions. where the desert 100 is out here, it is not very sandy. mostly dirt, rock and hard pack with a little sand every once and a while.

MS: I think you will find that it might be a bit heavy on the 250, my xr4 does alright with it but i think a 110/100-18 would be a better decision in the future.

well I have a good set of Dunlops on her now (XR250R) D756's 100/100X18 rear and 90/100X21 up front. Soooooooooo with all of your good recommendations and advice, I think I will keep the rubba I have on the 250 for now until it really wears out, they have plenty of life left for now.

So what to do with the Millvilles? keep em for my XR650L! the D606's are wearing and when they are ready to be replaced I will have the Kenda's ready! the 120/100X18 will be much better suited for the XR650L.

well I have a good set of Dunlops on her now (XR250R) D756's 100/100X18 rear and 90/100X21 up front. Soooooooooo with all of your good recommendations and advice, I think I will keep the rubba I have on the 250 for now until it really wears out, they have plenty of life left for now.

So what to do with the Millvilles? keep em for my XR650L! the D606's are wearing and when they are ready to be replaced I will have the Kenda's ready! the 120/100X18 will be much better suited for the XR650L.

well the millville is probably not the greatest dual sport tire (seriously) and is not DOT approved. but on a bigger bike they are great. I personally love the 120/100-18 on my xr4. works really well.

i think a 110/100-18 would be a better decision in the future.

This is what I went with for my 250. I like the Millville tires a lot for my riding conditions & the rear tire is more than big enough for me with plenty of grip. No way I'd go bigger.

Also think of the added weight. I put a huge desert Maxxim (forgot the size but is was a lot bigger then what I had on there) with HD tube on my XR400 and I hate it. Way too heavy, it's hard to get that back wheel off the ground like I like. One things for sure, I'm not getting a flat!

well the millville is probably not the greatest dual sport tire (seriously) and is not DOT approved. but on a bigger bike they are great. I personally love the 120/100-18 on my xr4. works really well.

Yea that is what I got thinking last night, not the best dual sport tires. So! I called Rockymountain and simply got an exchange going for a 110/100 X18. I had no idea the 120 would be so big! these metric sizes really screw me up. I liked the old days of like 4.00 X 18 etc.

Not trying to counter any advice given, just tossing in my experiences.

I have a Kenda TrackMaster 120/100-18 on my 250, and it performs well, for me. I am 6'3"/225, so am a little large for the bike, but it has been a fun and loyal trail bike for over 15 years. I don't notice any odd behaviors with the 120 rear, and with the bone stock chain/sprockets, I get plenty of "uphill-ability", can spin the rear on uphills, sometimes wheelie the uphill, and the bike has plenty of grunt to chunk the knobs spinning on hills.

Terrain is Texas: plenty of hardpack, caliche, gumbo, and rocky hills. :)

i can tell a drastic difference between a 110 and a 120. i run a 120 in the spring for the mud and 110 the rest of the year on a modded 450.