Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport lighting kit stopped working

I have had a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit on my 2005 CRF450X for about two years now. Earlier this week in the morning, everything worked fine then when I went to ride home in the evening, I noticed that only the headlight and small factory tail light were working (those two devices don't depend on the Baja Designs kit for power). The Baja Designs tail light, brake light, turn signals, and horn were not working. The battery is fully charged and able to start the bike with the starter and I replaced the fuse with a new one even though the old fuse looked fine.

It may be related or unrelated but this weekend while trail riding, the starter was making weird noises when starting the bike then on Monday morning, the starter would not start the bike. I had to kick start it for the whole day. Later, while trying to figure out the lighting problem, I tried the starter and it works normally and starts the bike normally.

Later while trying to determine the problem, I noticed that when I turn on the power switch, that only one of the LEDs will light in the tail light (there are probably 15 to 20 LEDs total). If I then press the horn button or switch on the turn signals or activate the rear brake switch, the one LED will go out. If I turn off the power switch and turn it back on, the one tail light LED will light again. I have went over the entire system including all of the connectors and have not found any loose connections, frayed wires, or compromised wire insulation.

I have also checked the voltage (although I am not completely sure I am doing it right) at each connector between the battery and rest of the wiring harness. I get 12 volts after each connector and after the power switch but that voltage will drop to 3 volts if I try to activate any of the lights or the horn (which still don't work).

I have tried disconnecting one set of devices at a time (like the turn signals, horn, etc.) to see if there is a short to one of the devices that is causing the problem. Even with everything unplugged except one device (any device), that one device still will not work.

This evening, I am going to try to place a jumper between the battery (bypassing the wiring harness) and the various components to see if I can get power to each device and get each one to work to try to isolate where the problem is.

Electrical problems are not my strong suit and I am almost out of ideas to figure out where the problem is. Any ideas?

I have no idea how to help you, but please keep us posted. Seems like you're doing everything I would try.

I just finished putting a BD dual sport kit on my KLX450R and I hope I don't find myself making a similar post at some point in the future. If I do, however, I can check back here for the solution.

Have you tried calling BD? Those guys are pretty good to deal with.

Have you tried calling BD? Those guys are pretty good to deal with.

I have been really happy the Baja Design kit and found them to be really good to deal with. I have exchanged several emails with them regarding this situation and they have made several suggestions but so far none of them have led to a solution. I don't fault them. It has been working correctly for two years and the problem may not even be an issue with their kit.

I had a similar problem with my BD DualSport Kit once, and although the fuse under the seat looked good, I replaced it anyways, with the same results. After a bit more investigation, I found another in-line fuse on a wire that was down near the carburator. Quite frankly it had been so long since I installed my DS kit, that I didn't recall if this was an OEM wire, part of my BD DS kit, or part of my BD eStart Kit. However, when I checked, it was very obviously burned out and replacing it solved my problem. GL solving yours.

I had a similar problem with my BD DualSport Kit once, and although the fuse under the seat looked good, I replaced it anyways, with the same results. After a bit more investigation, I found another in-line fuse on a wire that was down near the carburator.

Unfortunately, I only know of one fuse in my dual sport kit (and that is all that is shown on the wiring diagram) and that is the fuse that I already replaced even though it looked perfect. Thanks for the suggestion though.