Sign in to follow this  

Another valve spec question.

Checked my valves for the first time on my 07 wr250f. Did searches to help with the inspection part, went well but didnt find anything on this-

The valves are out of spec, but on the loose side. Intake around .3 exhaust around .5

I know when valves usually get out of spec, they get tight, hard to start ect.

I've been told this is spec is ok, especially with my riding style which is moderate aggressive trail riding. I dont think I've ever hit the rev limiter, do constant oil and air filter changes which always comes out(oil) about as clean as it went in. The bike runs and starts great.

Just wanted to get some of your opinions, like I said I've never done this valve stuff before.

Thanks!!

B.T.W, all the intakes and exhausts were the exact same as each other.

I think u should go ahead and put it to spec but for your riding, put it at the highest spec which I believe is .22 but don't take my word for it

The engine is design to run with the correct valve clearance and if the valves clearance are out of spec that you need to reshim. It has nothing to do with how your ride your bike.

Make sure the bike is in at least 60 degrees temps when checking the valves. I have received some odd numbers when checking the bike in colder weather.

are you sure your checking them right? not forcing the feeler gauges in, and having them move in and out smoothly?

The engine is design to run with the correct valve clearance and if the valves clearance are out of spec that you need to reshim. It has nothing to do with how your ride your bike.

Make sure the bike is in at least 60 degrees temps when checking the valves. I have received some odd numbers when checking the bike in colder weather.

The bike was in my 40 deg garage. I then brought it to a shop- 65 deg, and checked them. It probabally only sat in that temp for 10 min before checking them.

B.T.W, the ride to the shop was about 15 min long at about 20 deg.

are you sure your checking them right? not forcing the feeler gauges in, and having them move in and out smoothly?

They go in and out easily, but the next size up would of have to been forced.

The bike was in my 40 deg garage. I then brought it to a shop- 65 deg, and checked them. It probabally only sat in that temp for 10 min before checking them.

B.T.W, the ride to the shop was about 15 min long at about 20 deg.

I use to do all of my maintenance in the heated shop in the winter and even though I got the temps in the shop to 60 degrees all of the steel tools where ice cold. I now wait until its warmer to do any engine work.

I would wait until you can get it to warmer for a longer period of time. So the engine does not feel cold to touch.

Thats all I get? All the members here and thats all I get?

Come on, some more oppinions please, or does everyone agree with what has been posted?

If they were a little out of spec I'd say let it go. You're way above spec.

I think you should reshim.