Sign in to follow this  

yz125 to a 450

I hav a yz125 been riding it 4 a year but every1 who sees me ride says I am much more advanced that a year...I want to move to a new bike becuz the 125 is kind of lacking...I dnt want a 250f cuz its the sm thing... I go on long trails an a 250t isn't gonna cut it with gas... I'm 5'11 and weigh 140 pounds... I am lookin at an 06 kx450f... The 125 was my first bike an I think if I learnt to ride that with no previous experience I can move to a 450 no prob...wat do u guys think

Twitch, i see you are in Jamaica? What is the motocross like there? Anyway, about the bike, if you are only doing trails, then a 450 is a nice bike and you should be ok with it, but if you plan to learn motocross and be fast around the track, then the 450 is going to be a handful and i wouldnt recommend it for your body weight. What 125 do you ride now? I bet you would be very impressed with a new 250F, especially the kawi.

You will find a 450F a lot less forgiving in terms of your line selection and you need good bike handling setup to get accurate "placement" of you tires on the ground. It's the weight of the 450F machine, and the extra spinning mass. If you cross rut in a turn or whatever on your 125, you wont care, no one does, but on a 450F it can get ugly. It's just different. You need to work different, and the 450F needs to work with you. When it's right it's very nice.

You'll also need to learn to use the low rev grunt, and not rev it all the time. Handling is worse in nasty corners at high revs on a 450F because of the spinning engine mass. The 06 (if healthy and jetted correctly) has a very snappy bottom end delivery which might surprise you. No healthy KX450F year model has a flat spot in power output.

You will spend more on rear tires. Lazy option is to get hard wearing tires, but in the soft stuff, a "correct" rear tire is so much more fun and fast. Like 30% more straight accel, and 300% more sideways traction. The trick is to put your soft rear on only when sure you'll need it.

You have to be more diligent with maintenance (filters and oil and valve check say per 50 hrs). No where near as much wear as a 250F MXer, but still you need to care for it more than a 2 stroke.

You will find a 450F a lot less forgiving in terms of your line selection and you need good bike handling setup to get accurate "placement" of you tires on the ground. It's the weight of the 450F machine, and the extra spinning mass. If you cross rut in a turn or whatever on your 125, you wont care, no one does, but on a 450F it can get ugly. It's just different. You need to work different, and the 450F needs to work with you. When it's right it's very nice.

You'll also need to learn to use the low rev grunt, and not rev it all the time. Handling is worse in nasty corners at high revs on a 450F because of the spinning engine mass. The 06 (if healthy and jetted correctly) has a very snappy bottom end delivery which might surprise you. No healthy KX450F year model has a flat spot in power output.

You will spend more on rear tires. Lazy option is to get hard wearing tires, but in the soft stuff, a "correct" rear tire is so much more fun and fast. Like 30% more straight accel, and 300% more sideways traction. The trick is to put your soft rear on only when sure you'll need it.

You have to be more diligent with maintenance (filters and oil and valve check say per 50 hrs). No where near as much wear as a 250F MXer, but still you need to care for it more than a 2 stroke.

+1 thats exactly the info you need.

Twitch, i see you are in Jamaica? What is the motocross like there? Anyway, about the bike, if you are only doing trails, then a 450 is a nice bike and you should be ok with it, but if you plan to learn motocross and be fast around the track, then the 450 is going to be a handful and i wouldnt recommend it for your body weight. What 125 do you ride now? I bet you would be very impressed with a new 250F, especially the kawi.

Lol the ridib down here is pretty gd we hav about 2 tracks but I hear their building one more but 2 of the possible 3 are in the country I hav a thread...I think its track in jamaica...trails r kl can always find sumthin new to ride an all of them r linked sumhow... Thanx 4 the help guys...I origionally wanted a 250f but no1 is sellin them 4 a reasonable price

I started on a yz 144 road it for a year and then got a 450. Im just a little shorter thany you. Go for it you will be happy I use it for everything and love it. Its never let me down at all the motor always has enough to get me through anything I have the 06 and love it the only thing is sometimes I wish I had the 5th gear

Lol the ridib down here is pretty gd we hav about 2 tracks but I hear their building one more but 2 of the possible 3 are in the country I hav a thread...I think its track in jamaica...trails r kl can always find sumthin new to ride an all of them r linked sumhow... Thanx 4 the help guys...I origionally wanted a 250f but no1 is sellin them 4 a reasonable price
What language was that written in? I think the TT web server should be able to detect that SMS short hand dribble, and if a user does it three times, their account get's suspended. OK I'm kidding (half), but my real gripe is that if you ask for help, then make it easy for people to help you. Reading your last post was not easy, so I quit after one line. Your original post was fine.

Disclaimer: Yes I'm in a bad mood. A friend just canceled our riding session for this weekend. :)

What language was that written in? I think the TT web server should be able to detect that SMS short hand dribble, and if a user does it three times, their account get's suspended. OK I'm kidding (half), but my real gripe is that if you ask for help, then make it easy for people to help you. Reading your last post was not easy, so I quit after one line. Your original post was fine.

Disclaimer: Yes I'm in a bad mood. A friend just canceled our riding session for this weekend. :)

I agree, that second post was impossible to understand! Anyway, another thing, i know a lot of the dudes that ride in the caribbean don't understand these modern four strokes need to be maintained well and need regular oil changes. In fact, some guys take it to the limit and use them on the streets :thumbsdown: Just be sure you can trust the owner and ask him how often he changes the oil and filters, that question is a must.