Sign in to follow this  

WR 250 F won't start

Hi all,

Weather is beginning to clear up here in Maine--though there is still 18 inches of snow on the ground---My 05 WR250 F was stored with sea-foam in the tank--I changed the spark plug but she won't start---My assumption (after reading some other threads) is that the jets are clogged/dirty---Just got carb off and apart--Have not removed jets yet---I do not have an air pressure thing so I was wondering how to clean them. I was planning to soak them in sea foam ansd then try to blow them out with my air pump (tire inflatoe)---any other suggestions or other things I should do before I re-assemble the carb? Thanks Brian

If u really want to get them clean then u need to wrap something around the jet, wash um good and then old fashion blow hard with your mouth until the jet has a clear view of light down the middle. Face it at a lamp and see if u got all the mess out of it. Or u can bring it somewhere to get blown out.

stupid question--what do you wash them with?---thanks for the help--Brian

stupid question--what do you wash them with?---thanks for the help--Brian

O-ring safe carb cleaner can be found and most local dealers.

You will want to blow out the jets and "seats" with carb cleaner and an air compressor.

I would start will new gas first. sea-foam does not keep the gas from getting old. Also remember that your bike is not jetted for cold weather and if it is still below 50 degrees it will be hard to start no matter how clean the carb is.

if you do clean them, never be tempted to poke wire or anything else through the jet or you will ruin it.

Regards.

Mike.

what is sea-foam?

never heard of over here or do we call it something different.

Regards.

Mike.

Thanks for all the advice--especially the less than 50 degrees comment---it was 45 that day!---For Mike, Iread a thread about winterizing and many folks liked sea foam better than 'stabil' as a fuel stabilizer---It is suppose to be a cleaning agent as well. If you 'google' sea foam you will get to their web site. Or simply enter it in a advanced thread search. It is petro based detergent--not just methanol--They say you can feed directly into carb for more of a purge. Again, Thanks for all the help Brian

Aside from the Jets, have you tried changing oil/oil filters and cleaning the air filter? that might be some of the problem :)

Thanks Brian. I know what you mean.

Is adding a stabiliser like sea-foam better than just draining the tank and carb, or will this cause some damage ?

Regards.

Mike.

I keep Stabil in my bikes fuel all the time. Never know if I will be riding today or a month from now. I also keep my tank full, helps cut down on condensation. If you prefer to store the bike empty of fuel, you must remove all of it, every drop. Many have the mistaken belief that simply opening the drain on the carb gets it all. Some is left behind and it quickly evaporates, leaving a small pool of varnish. Ideally, you'd remove the float bowl and get it all out. That is such a pain, I instead store the bike full of fuel (with Stabil) and try to run the bike at least once a week, if only for a few minutes.

i have an 07, and it always gives me issues at the start of the season. i just use a small amount of ether in the intake and it fires right up. idn if this is safe but it works for me

Hey Mike,

The thread I read said to use fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full--the same guy 'sprays' a little oil in the cylinder head to prevent any rust from forming---I agree that you need to keep the tank full or completely empty--I do not really have the option of starting the bike--winter up here is a bear--even outside of portland we can get 2 weeks straight of below zero temps (night)--One January it did not get above 10 the whole winter (wonder why I live here sometimes)--I will reference the thread I found in the next comment I make--

Hey Mike--grayracer has some good posts about winter stuff (he has been a great help to me about a lot of stuff)---he thinks that fuel in is better--keeps o-rings/seals from drying---Do an 'advanced search' and type in his call name---the other option is 'winter storage' using the 'advanced search--plenty of opinions---Best, Brian

Thanks Brian will check them out for future reference.

Don't really have the same problem over here (north east England) dosn't really get that cold here, if it does it dosn't last long.

We can ride all year round but it does get very wet so lots of mud but still good fun.

Regards.

Mike.