Sign in to follow this  

First long ride, what to bring?

IHey guys,

I usually ride the track or short trail rides. Next month I am going on a 3 day ride in Moab. Any thoughts on what to bring, tools, parts, gear etc. I want to be prepared.

A few must have spanners, water, a rag, spare bolts n nuts, oil, extra fuel, snacks...these are the essentials IMHO

duct tape(like in case you break a bone to make a splint with a stick, a spoon makes a good wrist splint) and zip ties, jb weld, allen wrench set, extra clutch case oil type stuff, tube, air, patch kit, tire irons, if you foul plugs extra plug and wrench

water, matches, knife/leatherman, gun, MAP, compass, snax, ibuprofen, ID, sharpie(to write notes on the unconcious injured or dead)

duct tape(like in case you break a bone to make a splint with a stick, a spoon makes a good wrist splint); sharpie(to write notes on the unconcious injured or dead)

Wow, that doesnt sound to fun...

Have you had experience with the second part?

Wow, that doesnt sound to fun...

Have you had experience with the second part?

I have to confess no not for death or unconscious(that was on a track), however, the pen has come in handy for marking trails to follow so the whole group doesn't get lost, like make a list of turns, when people change their minds or split up. When my kids were little I used to write my name and cell number on their arms when we'd go to the fair or something(they never got lost tho :)). It really stinks to go looking for lost people(tho usually those people had to work hard at getting themselves lost on purpose in the first place)

but really, if you find yourself in a really nasty situation, write your name on yourself, or say if you have to give someone instructions to follow write it on their arm(either 1st aid or directional) so they don't have to remember ie forget it.

my hub/friends were on two trail rides that involved duct tape and sticks to splint broken bones, so that's good enough odds for me to carry. I also broke my wrist and taped myself up to get back to camp(so that makes three). And my hub had a few situations where he was glad he had his gun.

weird crazy exhilarating "stuff" happens out there :banghead:

and little bandaids are a joke, get the biggest ones you can find or gauze pads and tape. And I always carry water instead of Gatorade in case I have to wash out the road rash.

oh yeah, toilet paper cuz I'm a girl:p

• Like 1

A SAM Splint, 3" ACE bandage and some duct tape re-rolled on a body of a ball point pen (cut the tube to the width of the tape when done). Wrap about 3" diameter of duct tape on the tube. Run some 550 cord through the pen body and tie in square knot - this allows you to hang the tape on you arm while using it, if needed.

Small, light weight set-up that will deal with just about any split situation you may need. Used this very set up couple weeks ago to splint a leg of a young rider that broke the Tibia and Fibula.

Buy a basic first aid kit. You can get them anywhere and they are light weight and have tons of stuff in them. I carry one in every pack I have.

Next month I am going on a 3 day ride in Moab.

I'm assuming you're talking about 3 consecutive days of riding, not a 3-day long ride where you have to carry everything.

When we go on week-long vacations (to moab and other places), I bring:

my pink tire-changing bucket (has spare tubes and all tire-changing supplies), my tool box,

a spare air-filter or 2,

oil, jb-weld and quicksteel (for fixing pesky holes in sidecovers)

spare wheelbearings, fork seals, an emergency-use chain, etc.... I try to just imagine what could go wrong and ruin my vacation if I couldn't fix it.

Or I just bring a spare bike that either I or the girlfriend can ride or cannibalize as needed.

So far we've never really had to do much except fix 2 flats on one trip.

excellent offsite link tools,tools,tools,tools.

i didnt notice any mention of water. i figure thats a given, but just in case, be able to carry plenty of water. it sucks to run out especially in warmer weather.

I have a snake bite kit thats super small, has a blade iodine turnicate which fit into a small rubber case that is the suction. Take it with me every trail ride, and almost needed it on my last ride.

....I try to just imagine what could go wrong and ruin my vacation if I couldn't fix it.
That's what I do. There's nothing worse than ending your day, not because you're hurt, but because your machine won't go. On a multi-day outing, I would bring tools, tubes, a spare wheel, bearings, levers, oil, master link, hardware, and then some (mostly been covered).

As far as first aid is concerned, I bring what might spare me some pain and blood, but if I need it, my vacation is already ruined, so it doesn't really matter if you forgot it.

As far as first aid is concerned, I bring what might spare me some pain and blood, but if I need it, my vacation is already ruined, so it doesn't really matter if you forgot it.

IMHO first aid is the main thing you SHOULD remember, Life is more valuable than any vacation will ever be. On any outdoor activity I do, my first priority is safety. I would rather ruin my trans on the way back to camp because I broke my clutch lever and didnt have a replacement then bleed to death because I did'nt have/know first aid...IMO

Like I said, I bring what might spare me some blood and pain, i.e. gauze, bandages, tape, meds. I leave the suture kit and cervical collar at home with the crutches and air cast :doh:

Seriously, what are you bringing that will make the difference if you're really messed up?

Moab-- lots of water first and foremost you cannot bring enough. you will also want extra tubes and a tube repair kit. Run your tires a a little higher pressure than normal.... lots of pinch flats out there.