Sign in to follow this  

Is it worth a hundred bucks and five or six hours of time?

I happened to come across this: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/rvs/1059207517.html

Thinking about contacting the guy via email and straight up offering $100. No way it's worth $300, at least not to me.

I can get leaf springs that I think will fit for $25 (don't know what the guy in the ad has) and expanded metal for the floor would be $180-ish. Total cost less paint (really, would it be even worth trying to paint that?) comes up to $305. Right now, the 5X8 trailers in my area ready to haul are at least $500 and most are more. This one is a 6X10 by his measurements.

With lights, the total build cost would be $375.

If you up for the project I think it could be a good trailer. If you sandblast it it would make painting it worth it otherwise its just gonna rust into pieces eventually, rubberized undercoating might be tougher otherwise. I would maybe advise against the expanded metal because its expensive and you might have to weld in more supports to keep it from flexing down too much. Wood might be a cheaper and sturdier alternative, but its up to you. Good luck! Keep us updated

My neighbor does sand blasting and has done a few small pieces for me, like the exhaust from my XT, but I don't think he'll be able to sneak that in where he works without someone noticing.

I was thinking about the bracing myself, but it's hard to visualize it, I'd really need to put the axle on and hook it up to get a good picture in my head.

Is wood decking that much cheaper?

I prefer the expanded metal because it's low maintenance. No sweeping, no rotted pieces, hose it off now and then if you feel like it. If you paint it right, you're good, if you don't paint it right just accept that it's gonna rust a lot.

That's just barely over 6x8, not 6x10....100 inches is only 8'4".

Treated 3/4" CDX would be less than $90 for 3 sheets, then add in fasteners.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even think about giving him $300 for it.

That's just barely over 6x8, not 6x10....100 inches is only 8'4".

Treated 3/4" CDX would be less than $90 for 3 sheets, then add in fasteners.

You're right, I don't know what I did there. Hmm maybe got carried away with estimation... a foot is a little over 10 inches so 100 would be 10 feet? I dunno.

I'll consider CDX if I do it.

Looking to save some cash and have a good excuse to work on stuff.

We had expanded metal on our flatbed trailer, we ripped it up and put the treated stuff down. The metal would snag everything in sight, and the wood just looked better. And the metal rusted pretty quickly, even being stored in the garage. AND it sagged pretty bad in between the supports. AND... that's it.

Just my experience. :)

shop around and find a decent trailer for $300, dude's on crack.

:)

That thing is shit. I think in the long run it will cost you more then buying one already done up. Based on the looks of it you will need to replace bearing on the axle, and the tires.

To buy the steel in that frame would be much more than $100. Probably closer to the $300 he is asking for it. Don't know without inspecting it what the quality is like such as welds and alignment. Not sure if I would give him that price but it looks better than those junk Harbor Freight trailers everyone's always talking about.

:)

That thing is shit. I think in the long run it will cost you more then buying one already done up. Based on the looks of it you will need to replace bearing on the axle, and the tires.

Amen brother!!!

To buy the steel in that frame would be much more than $100. Probably closer to the $300 he is asking for it. Don't know without inspecting it what the quality is like such as welds and alignment. Not sure if I would give him that price but it looks better than those junk Harbor Freight trailers everyone's always talking about.
That's the way I was looking at it, if the steel was raw and new, it would cost me about $300.

Now the cost of a new assembled trailer would be much more than $300, but this one is in between - very few people will be able to do the work to reassemble it and assuming that it's square and true, it's worth my while to put it back together, add side rails (extra support and convenience: $75 more) and add a deck.

Now if it's not square and it's not true it's junk worth about $10 scrap and I'd walk away.

To just put it back together add a deck and lights, I'm coming up with $375, give or take. It's 2X2 square tubing, I'm guessing 14 gauge, so side rails aren't necessary, but nice.

Still waiting on the guy to get back to me on price (not wasting my time if he thinks he's getting close to $300), he did say that other people were interested, but no one has actually looked at it yet. I can wait.

I'm not real fond of the HF for anything that risks thousands of dollars of my stuff and potentially tens of thousands of dollars of damage to someone else's stuff.

check out lowes they have nice ramp gate trailers 700 to 900. thats the way i'd go,you'll have that in time and materials for that project. that frame looks way overkill weight wise anyway.

I'm trying to look ahead a little with this one.

My last (current) trailer was purchased for exactly what I needed then, which was haul a XR50 where ever needed.

Of course, our needs grew and the trailer was too small/under rated.

Right now, I need to haul three bikes, but soon it will be four, maybe five, plus gear, so I'm trying to think ahead.

Does he have a title, could be a pain plating it if not.
PA has a home-built trailer clause. Makes plating any trailer easy. Worthy or not, working or not. A lot of pick-ups become trailers by welding the under-cab frame to a coupler and a 4-wire plug spliced in.

Plating anything else however is subject to all the normal rules, including a $500 minimum purchase price. I.E. I had to pay an extra $12 in taxes because I bought my bike for $375, but I didn't get (and it would probably have been more expensive than $12) a notarized sale price form, nor did I feel like finding the seller after quite some time.

Of course, if the notary thinks you're trying to pull a fast one, they can apply the KBB private party value to the item, no matter how poor the condition.

Well the seller is in a wheeling and dealing mood: $250. I'm not even going to bother replying to his email.

On to the next one.