Sign in to follow this  

Tires: 120/90/18 or 120/100/18

So I am about halfway through a pair of Dunlop 606, great tires but went quick with all the street I was riding. Anyway I wanted to know if I can buy a 120/100/18 and put it on my bike. What is the middle number? Is it distance from the bead of the tire to the tip of the tread? I know 1st number is width and last is wheel diameter?

Anybody try the Maxxis 6006? That might be the next purchase.

Thanks,

Bret

I have the 6006s on a KTM625. I have about 300mi on the front and I just installed the rear the night before last. I haven't had it in the dirt since the rear was put on, but the front seems pretty good, for what it is. There is certainly a sacrifice made with this tire with the dirt handling capibilities. So far, I'm real happy with the street handling of them. I have always run a much more aggressive tire though, so I expect as much.

For the price, I don't think you can beat them if the tread pattern suits your type of riding. If you plan to ride "mostly" off road, I doubt you'll be happy with them. My 625 is a daily commuter with occaisional off road exploring, so these tires make sense. I have a 450EXC DS'ed as well for the serious off road stuff. On that I don't even bother with a DOT tire...but they go quick on the street.

If you're looking for the perfect "do all" tire, you just won't find it. A dirt oriented tire will work much better on the street than a street oriented tire will work in the dirt. Just depends on how often you want to buy new shoes for her!

the second nujmber is the percentage of the fiesr number in heighth. so if you have a 120/90/18 - the width if the tire is 120, the heighth is 90% of 120 (not gonna do the math on that) made for a size 18 wheel.

one thing to remember is just because you get a taller tire does not mean you get more tread. all tires are made by layering compounds so the thickness will be relatively the same.

not sure since I run mostly off road but believe the choice has to do handling characteristic and maybe specifically how the bike leans. I can certainly see a tire at 100% being easier to lean than say 80 or 90. don't know for sure.

the one thing I will say, and others may argue is if you are running a dirt aggressive tire, keep them aired up on the street and air down on the trail. they may be loud, uncomfortable and squirerrely at high speeds but it will save tread live. I have kenda 276 (think that's the right number) and have about 3000 miles, half trail half street.

either way, lots of tires out there read up on the forum, search for info and seriously consider the riding you will be doing.

second number is the percentage of the first one in height. 120/100 means the height is 100% or 120. all tires are layered compounds so getting a taller tire will not help them wear longer I believe it has more to do with handling characteristics.