UK folks beware of HR customs

Hi All,

Just wanted to warn anyone about buying from the US, got a clutch for my DR650 from here, it was £161 in Blighty and only work out £70 from here....even with the £30 P&P i was still quids in then F...in customs charged me another £30 to release the package.....?

Still a saving but waited 25 days in all and wish i just bought it from here in the end.

just a mail to advise anyone thinking of buying stuff.

right best go fit a clutch:ride:

LBL

best place for it mate

problem with the clutches on these bikes is that the springs are too weak, and so is the basket, they slip and dent the basket like hell, making the baskets almost as disposable as the bloody plates!!!

awesome spelling of the word psycho there mate haha ?

ive been screwed on buying many items from america, if you want bits go to

www.cmsnl.com

anything throw away

www.wemoto.com

Hi All,

Just wanted to warn anyone about buying from the US, got a clutch for my DR650 from here, it was £161 in Blighty and only work out £70 from here....even with the £30 P&P i was still quids in then F...in customs charged me another £30 to release the package.....?

Still a saving but waited 25 days in all and wish i just bought it from here in the end.

just a mail to advise anyone thinking of buying stuff.

right best go fit a clutch:ride:

LBL

Sorry to hear you have been unlucky buying from the U.S. LBL ,but dont tar every retailer from the U.S. with the same brush, I have had nothing but the best service from the states, service is one of there strong points, I have purchased from 2 retailers on 4 seperate ocassions (Procycles & Kientech) and have been blown away with the level of service I recieved.

Each time when I rang procycles and Kientech and placed an order for a product, they were only too happy to spend the time to explain things and ask you the right questions to make sure its all going to work.

Each time from Procycles the item took 3 working days from oregon to Brisbane, Thats Bloody AWSOME service in my books, over here in australia the customer is treated like a pest and a fool in many cases, I didnt realise how bad service is over here till I travelled over seas.

its not that mate, its just anything from outside of the european union for some reason

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

customs duty

excise duty

import VAT

and must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift;

the goods are new or used (including antiques)

the goods are for your private use or for sale

its not that mate, its just anything from outside of the european union for some reason

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

customs duty

excise duty

import VAT

and must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift;

the goods are new or used (including antiques)

the goods are for your private use or for sale

Ok Im with you now, OUCH your getting hammered with taxes from every angle, just like us over here in australia, they are slowly but surely turning us into a cash less society so every dollar is traceable and taxable

Sorry to hear you have been unlucky buying from the U.S. LBL ,but dont tar every retailer from the U.S. with the same brush, I have had nothing but the best service from the states, service is one of there strong points, I have purchased from 2 retailers on 4 seperate ocassions (Procycles & Kientech) and have been blown away with the level of service I recieved.

Each time when I rang procycles and Kientech and placed an order for a product, they were only too happy to spend the time to explain things and ask you the right questions to make sure its all going to work.

Each time from Procycles the item took 3 working days from oregon to Brisbane, Thats Bloody AWSOME service in my books, over here in australia the customer is treated like a pest and a fool in many cases, I didnt realise how bad service is over here till I travelled over seas.

You missed the point, this has nothing to do with the vendor as he doesn't see an extra dime from foreign sales vs. domestic ones.

However I don't see how this would be surprising to anyone, paying VAT and duties on goods you get from outside your country is normal anywhere in the world, unless the governments have an agreement (as is the case within the EU for example).

In Austria I am charged for anything that is valued at more then €25 ($30 or so). The US and Australia have much higher limits for personal goods, and only charge above $1500 or so IIRC. Any vendor will have to pay though, regardless of the value. That's why it's often cheaper for Aussies to buy their parts from the US and import them themselves.

Slightly off topic, but...

problem with the clutches on these bikes is that the springs are too weak, and so is the basket, they slip and dent the basket like hell, making the baskets almost as disposable as the bloody plates!!!

I've noticed that too, I fitted new plates & springs and after less than 1000 miles, it feels like its on the verge of slipping again. I filed the ridges out of the basket when I had it apart. Do you think genuine Suzuki springs are the best, or are there any stronger ones out there?

On a side note, what is a "poofter"? I think its a british term.

:banghead: We use that term downunder, as well. :foul:

Answer - Someone who thinks this :banghead: is an invitation.

So much more could be said but it would, without doubt, get me into being ? .. but yes, it does have different connotations.

I've noticed that too, I fitted new plates & springs and after less than 1000 miles, it feels like its on the verge of slipping again. I filed the ridges out of the basket when I had it apart. Do you think genuine Suzuki springs are the best, or are there any stronger ones out there?

I'm getting heavy duty springs next order.

I guess things have changed in the past year, i guess. Whilst building my TL1000R i purchased quite a bit of kit from the UK, New Zealand, Germany, Australia, etc. and never got nicked for any extra taxes or duty. I also sent stuff out to the same countries and nobody ever reported back that they had any problems or extra charges involved. I guess i'll just consider my self lucky, or maybe they (customs) just thought that it was personal stuff, although i did have to fill out a customs report on all of the stuff i sent out.

Regarding the clutch, is it a recommended thing to upgrade the springs? I have in other bikes, but didn't know that perhaps the DR needs this done as well.

Thanks.

personally i think they are not enough, ive also filed out the notches on mine, funny thing is, on the army's armstrong mt500 they actually have a tolerance as to how many times u can file the baskets!!!

you can get the stronger springs here

http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=1915469

direct link to the part

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=1915469qqq25679

i havnt fitted mine yet, been rebuilding the front brakes this morning, then took it out for a countryside (part byway) thrashamagig! ?

personally i think they are not enough, ive also filed out the notches on mine, funny thing is, on the army's armstrong mt500 they actually have a tolerance as to how many times u can file the baskets!!!

you can get the stronger springs here

http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=1915469

direct link to the part

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=1915469qqq25679

i havnt fitted mine yet, been rebuilding the front brakes this morning, then took it out for a countryside (part byway) thrashamagig! ?

I'm pretty sure those are the ones I fitted, I bought "uprated" plates and springs. The plates seem fine, but there doesnt seem to be enough clamping force. I even packed the springs out with a washer on each one to make them a bit tighter- still no good. I think I'm going to fit genuine ones next time.

I've been diddled by customs as well when I got a jet kit for me r1 from factory pro, coz they put the real value on the customs sheet, but I've had loadsa shit from the US and that was the only time I had to pay out. If its a 'gift' with a low value (I cant remember the exact threshold), then no customs tax issue, so no extra payment. You just gotta ask the vendor or seller to adjust the value somewhat...

I'm pretty sure those are the ones I fitted, I bought "uprated" plates and springs. The plates seem fine, but there doesnt seem to be enough clamping force. I even packed the springs out with a washer on each one to make them a bit tighter- still no good. I think I'm going to fit genuine ones next time.

if the EBC ones are 10% srtonger how will genuine improve?