Sign in to follow this  

Amsoil and Clutches

I have been using amsoil for a couple years in my bikes. I love how well things are wearing. But I was told by a seasoned mechanic/racer about a year ago that he won't use it because he has problems with it in regard to clutches. Well things were fine for me for quite awhile but now both bikes are going through clutches fairly fast. The 250 basket was getting pretty notchy so I replaced it with a complete hinson setup. So we'll see how long it lasts. The 450's basket is good and I just replaced the plates. I am now switching to Rotella to see if there is a difference. Anybody on here have any problems with clutch life while using Amsoil.

I cannot testify as to whether or not synthetics actually hurt the clutch over time, but the pro I bought my 450 from made me promise that I would run Rotella and change it after every ride. It's a pain to change it that often, but no clutch problems, and the motor still runs like new. :)

I'm currently running amsoil formula 4-Stroke 0W-40 in my YZ250 with no problems so far but, When my friend got his 250F engine rebuilt by a reputable shop they told him the same thing about amsoil causing the clutch to slip and wear. I didn't believe it but if mechanics are saying the same thing I think I might make the switch to Rotella. Can Anyone recommend what kind though? (in a 2 stroke)

I'm currently running amsoil formula 4-Stroke 0W-40 in my YZ250 with no problems so far but, When my friend got his 250F engine rebuilt by a reputable shop they told him the same thing about amsoil causing the clutch to slip and wear. I didn't believe it but if mechanics are saying the same thing I think I might make the switch to Rotella. Can Anyone recommend what kind though? (in a 2 stroke)

You can run anything shy of Crisco shortening in a two stroke gear box. Rotella 15W-40 will do you fine. I use car oil in mine and have had zero troubles but I don't race - ever.

As soon as the car oil (Havoline 10W-40) runs out, I've got 5 quarts of Motorcraft 15W-40 oil specifically formulated for Ford Powerstroke :) diesel engines. It's available at finer discount stores everywhere. If someone wants to refute the sheer strength seen in a Powerstoke :banghead: transmission please, feel free.

As long as you use the amsoil made for motorcycles you wont have a problem with the clutches. Ive been using it for years, never burned out a clutch with it. Had one basket notch after 60 hours of hard riding, but that cant be blamed on the oil.

If your basket is notched, it will burn out the clutches. If you kept putting new plates in your notched basket, that was your problem.

just curious.....what exactly causes a basket to get "notched"?

time and use. Stock baskets don't last very long. I now have put a hinson in my sons 250f and still have a stock one in the 450, it looked fine. It'll be interesting to see how long the first replacements in the 450 last. I'm pretty sure the short life of the 250 plates was being caused by the notched baskets and not the oil. I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anybody else has felt there was a possiblity of it being oil related.

You can run anything shy of Crisco shortening in a two stroke gear box. Rotella 15W-40 will do you fine. I use car oil in mine and have had zero troubles but I don't race - ever.

As soon as the car oil (Havoline 10W-40) runs out, I've got 5 quarts of Motorcraft 15W-40 oil specifically formulated for Ford Powerstroke :) diesel engines. It's available at finer discount stores everywhere. If someone wants to refute the sheer strength seen in a Powerstoke :banghead: transmission please, feel free.

If you use Motorcraft 15w-40 in your PowerJoke transmission you are definitely misinformed. 12 valve Cummins KICK ASS. (just kidding, not trying to start a war)

If you use Motorcraft 15w-40 in your PowerJoke transmission you are definitely misinformed. 12 valve Cummins KICK ASS. (just kidding, not trying to start a war)

No big deal. Got no diesel motors here 'cept for the loud smokey one in my YZ :)

5 quarts for $11.50. Oughta work great on a wet clutch in my diesel resembling motorcycle (750 ml at a time mind you).