Sign in to follow this  

What year did KTM come legal from the factory?

There is an 04 exc on craigslist that is plated but has old registration. Should I be cautious about buying it in california? could they pull the plate?

07, 08, 09 exc models came street legal from the dealer.

That being said I know many people with older models that have been plated with no issues from DMV.

have the guy update the registration before you buy it... tell him you'll pay for it if it all works out.

yes be careful as if its past the cutoff date and expired it could be a PITA or not even able to get back thru, do like CHAP said and have him get current plate registration and if its good youll pay for it. What price did you see on this bike out of curiosity??

the cutoff was Jan 30 04, so you had to start the process by then. So many 04s are truly legal. Look at the title and see when it was first issued the plate and that will tell you.

the cutoff was Jan 30 04, so you had to start the process by then. So many 04s are truly legal. Look at the title and see when it was first issued the plate and that will tell you.

Correct, actually I think it was Jan 1 04, many 04's. like mine are totally legal, though I know tons of guys with 05-06 that have plates, and have never heard of any KTM having a plate pulled, its always been Honda's for some reason, but the legal from the factory EXC's came out in 07

Mike

"street legal" started in 2007, i know some guys with plated in 2004. i like my '08 as the dmv looks at it the same as a ninja or gsxr, very cool. i left the horn hooked up and even fabricated some mirrors inside my handguards as to not have to fiddle when going from trail to street.

What price did you see on this bike out of curiosity??

I cant answer that until I decide:p I noticed in another thread you in the market

No actually I think the owner is a little misinformed (350?)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1071198157.html

but I'm gonna use that to my advantage unfortunatley he did not return my email about registering it so you guys are welcome to jump on it. Its a good price if its registered. I have been looking for a long time and have not seen anything this cheap.

maybe its a 250 with the (ktm) 350 kit? but ya they never sold a 350.

Mike