Sign in to follow this  

what wheels to buy?

I am getting a '09 450R next week and want to set up a dedicated set of race wheels. I have been out of mx for many years and don't know where to start or what to look for. Any recommendations or things to look for? Are there adapters or extra parts I will need? I assume switching rotors at the same time I switch out the wheels would not be that big a deal.

tcrwheels are what windham uses. They are supposed to be 1lb lighter than stock when laced with excels. Talons laced with excels are the same as stock, just much stronger.

Thanks for the replies. I am wondering more about making sure the wheels I buy will fit my bike. I come from a cycling background and wheels all fit the same. Do I need an adapter of some kind? How model specific are aftermarket wheels?

Thanks again

Anybody know anything about the Sunline wheels ? Saw them on Motosport's site and meant to ask about them yesterday when I made an order, but forgot. Supposedly the hubs are forged, should be stronger and lighter than billet.

Anybody know anything about the Sunline wheels ? Saw them on Motosport's site and meant to ask about them yesterday when I made an order, but forgot. Supposedly the hubs are forged, should be stronger and lighter than billet.

I emailed Sunline about their wheels this week, and was told they won't be available until the end of summer. I was wondering, also, how Motosport could sell them. I did notice the Motosport site says the Sunline wheels won't ship for 1 week. :)

I am getting a '09 450R next week and want to set up a dedicated set of race wheels. I have been out of mx for many years and don't know where to start or what to look for. Any recommendations or things to look for? Are there adapters or extra parts I will need? I assume switching rotors at the same time I switch out the wheels would not be that big a deal.

Make sure the wheel set you buy should be as light as the OEM.I would only replace the OEM hubs if I could find a lighter ones or else I would just have it powdercoated.

I would only go with excel & talon ultralite hubs if I would replaced it.Just my opinion.

Make sure the wheel set you buy should be as light as the OEM.I would only replace the OEM hubs if I could find a lighter ones or else I would just have it powdercoated.

I would only go with excel & talon ultralite hubs if I would replaced it.Just my opinion.

Please. Lets get real here. Dont ride the bike in the dirt then. you can get pounds of dirt and mud on the wheels during a race. so a pound + or - to start with will not kill your performance on the track.

Prowheels are nice, but their welds on the rims are pretty poor. Always had problems truing them up because of that. Seem to run fine. Never ran their hubs.

Please. Lets get real here. Dont ride the bike in the dirt then. you can get pounds of dirt and mud on the wheels during a race. so a pound + or - to start with will not kill your performance on the track.

Prowheels are nice, but their welds on the rims are pretty poor. Always had problems truing them up because of that. Seem to run fine. Never ran their hubs.

Yes you are right the wheels gets heavy in a mud race.I dont disagree with you.It depends on what you want on your bike if you prefer the bling factor then just install cheaper set of wheels.

For me 1 pound added unsprung weight per wheel is a very big factor considering its gyro effect.

Its just me though if I got excels rims I would not replaced it with a prowheels.Remember the guy has an 09 crf450 why would you use cheap wheelsets for a bike that costs almost 7 grand.

32556822002.jpg

Whats wrong with buying a pair of stockers off ebay for $400 bucks. How many on here have ever broken a stock wheel? Don't count hitting trees etc.

I have a pair of stockers that I've had since 02 that I use for a practice set, saves on the tires. It's the only way to go if you live in an area with hard ground.

Is the bling factor worth the $900+ bucks (rotors and sprocket)? not to me. I'd rather have more new tires

I have a set of Warp9s on my YZ. From my experience they seem to be around OEM quality and weight. You can choose between OEM or polished finish on the hubs and your choice of rim color. They also come with a brake rotor and sprocket, and the OEM bearings fit right in.

I believe they offer the best bang for the buck on the market right now. If you have the money, though, you can get stronger wheels.

im in need of some new rims i was thinking about just getting excel bands and spokes and lacing them to my stock hubs..my stock rims on my crf450 are about done front wheel is got a nice wobble to it and the rear is ok.....ive been looking at those dna wheels or are they junk? or should i just get excel bands and call it a day? i just dont kno which way to go im 19 no bills and make 5 a week so i could have some new wheels before i hit the track with some buddys in 3 weeks im just stuck an a rut with bent rims lol

Heres what I was told from a friend about the sunlines from what he found out at the indy dealer show. Apparently they are the same as the new pro wheel series rims that arent out yet.I believe they are called pro-am wheels or something like that.He said they looked very well made and we are planning on getting a few sets to try them out.They are the same as the new MSR wheels except the msr wheels you can get them with a option of excel a60 rims.

Good info on the rims there.

The biggest problem I see with people when asked about rims is that most people have not tried more than the stocker and 1 other brand. So when you ask about Pro WHeels, Excel, RAD, DNA most people have never used or seen a set but still have an opinion that what they use is better. I think it is great that you have a wheel set that holds out. Some of us ride harder than others and need something stronger than stockers. I know my friend Ty Lacey 221 goes through stock wheels in just a few rides. He ran the prowheels on stock rims, but after about 3 months they were hammered to. But he is a pro rider.

Excel and Talon are the benchmarks obviously. I dont like the talon hubs with the adapters just because it adds way more parts than needed with a wheel plus more weight. But they are good wheels. I have run the prowheels and laced a ton of them up. The 1st series of rims were very poor on the weld and you could never true that out, but the wheels ran good and held up good. The 2nd series are much better on the welds. Their spokes seem really cheap, but seem to hold up. The Kreig Wheels that motosport use to sell are super nice, but the spokes are junk. They stretch after about 10 rides and you have to tighten and then grind down the spokes sticking through the nipples. DNAs have been really good. Have not seen any problems their with them, but have only been on them for about a year now. Warp9s seem like cheap quality. Every set sold here you have to replace the bearings right away and the spokes seem to break in short time.

Just my 2 pennies