Sign in to follow this  

First Ride Report (finally) & some questions

today031.jpg

Took the bike to be inspected for my plates yesterday (now it's all in the hands of some bleary-eyed bureaucrat at PennDOT) and couldn't resist a short ride at the old stomping grounds afterwards.

I am coming off a KX125, so that's my point of reference. My last four-stroke was a XR200 back in 1986. My bike has the JD jet kit and PMB insert. I decided to leave the smog pump intact for the time-being.

My report and observations:

(A) This is a great bike and I have no regrets whatsoever. It's brutally fast and there were no handling quirks (except trying to keep the front wheel on the ground so I could steer it).

(:) I'm going to have to start a "slush fund" to buy rear tires (a lot of them)

© Coming off the two-stoke 125, I expected this big thumper to have the low-end grunt of a John Deere tractor. It doesn't. I stalled it several times starting from a dead stop and making tight turns at very low speeds (basically turning around). I had expected to dump the clutch from idle, eat a ham sandwich or read the paper, and then take off. Instead, I found myself slipping the clutch and/or rear tire to facilitate starts. If I don't adjust to this, I think a bigger rear sprocket is in my future. Would it help to raise the idle speed? (I hate the first gear "clunk" that comes with a higher idle though).

(D) The e-start worked fine for me. I decided to play with the kick-starter without much success. Kicked the crap out of it unsuccessfully but then it would fire right off with the button. The hot start lever didn't make much difference. I think I need to readjust from the two stroke - most of what I've read is that this bike should start fine with the kicker.

(E) I had noticed a med-high frequency “whistle” from the top end of the motor when I had it home in the garage. It only made the noise when I revved the motor. This persisted when I rode it - on acceleration, consistently, and without changing pitch. It sounds mechanical, not like it's sucking air. Anybody notice this? Is it the valve train or smog pump or ?

That is all for now. It felt good to get in the year's first ride.

Hey,

Congrats on getting it setup and working on getting the plate. This is the exact setup that I am planning on fnializing. I went with LED turn signals instead of the standard ones.

What JD jets did you use?

Dave

Hey,

Congrats on getting it setup and working on getting the plate. This is the exact setup that I am planning on fnializing. I went with LED turn signals instead of the standard ones.

What JD jets did you use?

Dave

Thanks, I'm just one step closer to the plate. If some desk jockey at the DMV is having a bad day I may get shafted, but I'm hopeful thinks will go smoothly. That's one reason I went with all the DOT-stamped stuff for the first inspection.

The JD kit has instructions that tell you which ones to use, based on elevation. I can't say off hand which jets went in - I'd have to check the sheet.

Got the fingers crossed for ya.

I was a bit surprised to about the lack of off the line grunt too. The torque really hits once you start rolling. I added 2 teeth on the back sprocket, it makes a huge difference. I just put in the JD kit and the R & D flex screw today. The R and D kit is supposed to clear up the off idel response. I have not had a chance to road test it, but it starts alot better. I noticed the mechanical noise at 40 to 50 MPH. My buddy's wr 450 makes the same noise. I think its normal?

As for kicking....

Find top dead center, by cyclying through the kick stroke until it gets tough to push. Let the kick lever back to the top of the stroke and kick it over. It will fire on the first kick every time. I just about killed myself the first few rides doing the two stroke rapid kick method. I also always kick it over when its cold out.

Thanks absurveyor...good feedback. I forgot to mention I have an aftermarket fuel screw also, but I haven't tried any different settings. I didn't think it's a bog or jetting issue on the low end; more of an inherent torque curve or gearing issue. I'll have to look around for a dyno graph of a motor tuned to stock specs as well as our specs. Glad to hear the sprocket worked well for you; it's also nice to see an appreciable response after a mod (i.e., you know you didn't waste your money or time).