Sign in to follow this  

Plug for Jeff Kaylor and Hall's Cycles

I just got an email from Jeff, he said they were sending me a new tank and a return ship label for my old tank. I emailed him last week and said that my IMS tank had developed a leak. He said to send him a picture of it. When I took the tank off I discovered that my radiator air scoop had been rubbing very hard on the tank. I don't know if I didn't trim it enough or my radiator bent slightly backwork, but it had almost rubbed a hole in the tank. Slightly below that a crack developed and started to leak.

He said Hall's and IMS would both stand behind the tank. This is customer service at it's best. When I get the chance to do business with Hall's again, I most certainly will. I am attaching a pic of the tank. The part circled in red is the leak, the part circled in blue is the plastic scoop rubbed on the tank. Ken

leak.jpg

Yep, that's why Halls is always mentioned in threads about top husky dealers. :)

Jeff and Hall's are the only reason I tried a 3rd IMS tank instead of giving up. 1st one leaked after one street ride, 2nd had bad inserts at fuel pump mount, 3rd has had the shiite beat out of it by me and is still holding fuel! Hall's paid for all the return postage and also had replacement tanks on the way to me before receiving my bad ones. Good establishment to deal with and I'll recommend them to anyone who asks. So ummm.....yeah what you said!

Bad news, I just saw a small puddle of gas under my bike. It is pretty far back, it could be the pump or a connection leaking. I have only had one ride on the new IMS tank. I will post when I take it off later. :doh: Ken

I'm on my 3rd IMS tank and also take my hat off to Jeff over at Hall's. But now I only use my IMS tank for longer Dualsports and swap back to my stock tank whenever possible. It's a pain to swap back and forth but I think when the tank is bolted down on the frame it puts subtle stresses on the tank which eventually leads to a leak.

All of these replacement tanks being shipped out, makes one wonder if IMS is making a moolaa manufacturing such a faulty product. Gotta feel sorry for Halls since they helped get the tank into production.

Now would anyone that has already purchased an IMS '08-9 husky tank recommend anyone to buy one?

All of these replacement tanks being shipped out, makes one wonder if IMS is making a moolaa manufacturing such a faulty product. Gotta feel sorry for Halls since they helped get the tank into production.

Now would anyone that has already purchased an IMS '08-9 husky tank recommend anyone to buy one?

I am sure IMS is making zero money on the Husky tank as it appears they have taken quite a few back. Halls won't be out one dime for any of the tanks they take back as they'll go straight to IMS.

I had an IMS on my 2004 TE250 and the tank was flawless. That bike had a 100 mile range with that tank and I kind of miss that bike. I'll give IMS a 2nd chance should I ever buy a new bike.

Greg

Good news, looks like the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank is just not sealing properly. I will order a new one tomorrow. Yes I would recommend the IMS tanks to anyone with a Husky. I have had some fitment issues and the leak, but most of the rides I go on I could not do without it. Ken

Good news, looks like the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank is just not sealing properly. I will order a new one tomorrow. Yes I would recommend the IMS tanks to anyone with a Husky. I have had some fitment issues and the leak, but most of the rides I go on I could not do without it. Ken

If you just installed the tank for the 1st time, you may have one of the pump wires or part of the inlet filter screen trapped between the pump flange and the tank? This is assuming you haven't pulled the pump again. Those small wires and inlet screen tend to resist going back into the tank on installation. Glad it's not your new tank leaking!:doh:

The pump was mounted for a month and a half before it started leaking. I believe the o-ring took a compression set. I think I just need a little more compression on the o-ring. I will get an o-ring with a slightly larger cross section to get the compression I need.

It appears that it is working great. I will try to get our and give it a test run this weekend and see how it does. Ken

Mine just started leaking in the same place as yours....I'll give jeff a call!

I notified Jeff about the leaking tank and he said to email him some pics...I sent the pics to him today. Hope to hear back with some good news by Monday or Tuesday.

It looks like the seam where the front section is molded to the rear section is starting to seperate and causing the leak.

IMStank011.jpg?t=1243130037

IMStank012.jpg?t=1243130124

I just found my IMS tank leaking the other day. This one is the 2nd, (both natural). They both cracked in exactly the same place,(attached picture). I called Jeff at Hall`s and he is sending me a replacement. He was going to give me a refund but we got to talking and I told him how much I liked having the extra range. He suggested that I try a black one because he has not seen the problems that the natural ones have on the black tanks. I will let everyone know how things work out.

crack1-1.jpg

Jeff is sending me a replacement tank. Going with black this time also. Just won't overtighten the cap and all should be good.

Big thanks to Hall's for replacing the defective tanks.....:thumbsup: