Sign in to follow this  

08 CDI on a 07?

Would there be any problems or hangups with the 08 CDI plugged into a 07, I know they are located in different places because of HPSD? I wanted to know if adding a 08 CDI would be a mod I hadn't heard about? These are some notes I have found while searching:

Would you get the 08's Three-way ignition mapping, also the 2008 uses a 40mm Keihin flat-slide carb while the 2007 uses a Keihin 40.0mm flat-slide with throttle position sensor (TPS). I also noticed the CDI on the 2007 has an electronic advice and the 2008 does not. TPS sends a signal to the CDI, which changes the ignition timing in accordance with the position of the throttle slide. Ron Hemp wrote: Your absolutely right there is no wire connection from the shift drum on the 250 only the 450 may be just the programmed curves in the box are helping it like the vortex.

I would think it would work. I won't swear to it. The carbs are pretty much identical. I know the rev limiter is a few hundred RPM's higher on the 08 and timing curves are different.

No knowledgeable people in the electrical area of these bikes? I did a search and all I came up with is above, I always heard that the electronics were black magic not to be messed with.

Just reading over the changes for the 08, and it doesnt seem the CDI box changed much at all, just took a bit of peak power and spread it out a bit. The bike only reves higher because honda lightened the valves for 08, and i think the power spread might be because of the cam, not electrical. So why si it you want an 08 CDI box?

I should go out in the shop and look at my bikes but to lazy, but from memory i dont think you can plug the 08 into the 07 one has 2 plugs and the other has one i think???Ill look tommorrow and confirm..