Wheel Bearing Help

I just bought my son a 2006 Honda CR85.. Very nice bike.. The rear wheel has a little play in it. I had done some researchon here and found that you should not have any to much play at all.

My question is: The bike came with after market "Pro Wheels" with anodized hubs. I dont know if the hubs are Talon hubs or Pro wheel hubs. I know theay are not stock.. Will a bearing for a talon hub fit a hub from Pro wheel? Are they the same bearing as a stock OEM Honda Part?

Thanks for the help

Odds are they are pro wheel hubs if they have pro wheel rims. Talon hubs will have the name talon stamped in them. Talon's use a fairly unique bearing set up (though DNA hubs copied them exactly) that is different than stock. I'm not sure if pro wheel uses stock bearing sizes or not. You can call pro wheel and find out, but a cheaper fix is to take the bearings out and use the bearing number to get bearings from an industrial bearing supplier.

why not just take the bearings out, check the number on the dust cover.

then go on ebay and buy a dozen of them?

I bought a dozen 6005-2rs bearings for like 30$, hell of a deal.

I'm guessing VXB bearings? You can normally buy them direct from the manufacturer's website even cheaper than on ebay. I have used them myself, but there are a few sizes they don't offer.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but this thread made me second guess a purchase I just made.

I just ordered OEM bearings for my '04 YZ 450 because I have a little play in my front wheel, but I have aftermarket excel rims. The hubs look stock, but who knows. Do you think I am safe?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but this thread made me second guess a purchase I just made.

I just ordered OEM bearings for my '04 YZ 450 because I have a little play in my front wheel, but I have aftermarket excel rims. The hubs look stock, but who knows. Do you think I am safe?

Rims have no effect on bearings. If they are stock hubs then you need stock sized bearings. Some aftermarket hubs use stock size bearings, some don't. All aftermarket hubs are machined, so if your hubs have a rough sand cast finish, they are stock.

• Like 1

yeah man, you should be good. excel rims come on yamahas dont they? either way they should be the same bearing size. as long as you didnt order bearings for a yz 250 or a crf 450, etc, you should be fine.

one thing you should have done was taken the bearings out of your rims, got the numbers, then ordered those exact bearings. im sure you realize that now ?

• Like 1

Rims have no effect on bearings. If they are stock hubs then you need stock sized bearings. Some aftermarket hubs use stock size bearings, some don't. All aftermarket hubs are machined, so if your hubs have a rough sand cast finish, they are stock.

Yeah, they have the rough sand cast finish. Thanks brother. ?

• Like 1

one thing you should have done was taken the bearings out of your rims, got the numbers, then ordered those exact bearings. im sure you realize that now :banghead:

Yeah, I know. I'm squeezing every last bit of life out of those bad boys until my new ones come in. :banghead:

There's about an 1/8" of an inch play in the front wheel, and the wheel is making a slight grinding noise as the wheel spins, but I should be ok at practice because I am going to slow it down and only hit the small jumps this weekend. ?

I found out that Pro Wheels does not make hubs for the CR85.. So they have to be DNA, RAD, or Talon. I am hoping they are DNA or talon since the bearings are the same. I ordered a set of bearings for Talon hubs in hopes that they are right. The Prvious owner thinks they were talon hubs but he was not 100% certain. But his kid said they were and the kid is who rode it. So I am hoping that is the case.

Am I correct in thinking there should be NO play in the rear wheel? How much is too much play?

there should be NO play. in either wheel. its either bearings, or not tightened tight enough.

are you positive that your front axle bolt is tightened all the way? I had the sae problems... front wheel wobble. turns out my axle nut needed another revolution.

loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom of the left fork leg (with the brake). then give the axle nut a good tighten. then loosen the right leg pinch bolts, give the axle bolt another tighten. then tighten all 4 pinch bolts back up. that might fix it.

YZ450... thanks for the info. However it is the rear wheel that has all the play. It has about an 1/8 of play either direction. It is my sons bike and he does not ride it hard. Do you think it will be a problem?

YZ450... thanks for the info. However it is the rear wheel that has all the play. It has about an 1/8 of play either direction. It is my sons bike and he does not ride it hard. Do you think it will be a problem?

oh ok. its not a critical problem. its still rideable but I would definitely be looking into getting a dozen or so new bearings from ebay, or anywhere. they should cost no more than 30$ for 12 bearings.

my friend has a cr 500, he has a wobbly rear tire and it still rides fine.

The hub should say on it who makes it in most cases. I know Talon's have it stamped into them, it may be on the ears where the sprocket mounts (you have to remove the sprocket). There should be no play in the bearings. Replace the bearings and seals and make sure you pack the seals with grease. As long as you occasionally repack the seals with grease, and be careful with pressure washers the bearings should last a long long time (many years).

I bought some 6005 2rs in NTN at £4.50 each. They have a none contact seal and prove to be one of the best bearings. I think they are actualy used by Talon themselves. I got a an excellent deal from AKL BEARINGS in the UK who really helped with identification and supply of these. They eve provided me with some 30 x 47 x 7 oilseals for 90p each to suit. For someone who doesnt know much about bearings I would reccomend them for prices and technical information.

Doesn't matter who made the hub, unless you want to buy OEM bearings and pay the insane markup.

Wheel bearings, and most other MC bearing, are metric standard bearings and the size code is on the bearing. I suspect yours are 6001 bearings. As a previous poster said just go to any industrial bearing shop, I bought my last set for $2 each.

The beaing size codes denote the bore for the axle and there are only a few axle sizes available; 12mm, 15mm, 17mm, 20mm, 25mm, etc.

The code also indirectly denotes the bearing OD.

The basic code is a four digit number, prefix and suffix denote manufacturer unique features such as sealed, shielded, etc.

SIZE CODES:

First two digits:

60 = narrow

62 = very light

63 = light

Second two digits - internal diameter code:

00 = 10mm

01 = 12mm

02 = 15mm

03 = 17mm

04 and on = multiply by 5 for internal diameter

/xx = actual ID