Sign in to follow this  

Any skid plates fit over stock crash bars?

I bought a brand new 2008 XR650L a few weeks ago! :) Farkle number one will be a skid plate. Seems most of the ones I've seen require the stock bash bars to be taken off so the skid plate fits correctly. Are there any that are made to fit or will fit with the stock bars left in place for added protection?

I forget who posted it they put an MSR skid plate right over the bars so there are some that will fit right over

I really can't see the benefit of having both. A good skid plate will offer plenty of protection for hard hits. Your bike isn't heavy enough already?

I really can't see the benefit of having both. A good skid plate will offer plenty of protection for hard hits. Your bike isn't heavy enough already?

Dunno aboot minny-soda, but back in rocky ol' CT having both the stock crash bars and the skid plate was a good thing, especially since I used my XRL like a trials bike that could turn granite into gravel.

No loss in ground clearance.

I hear an XR650R skid plate can be put on, and it has even more side protection than any of the XRL/XR600R bash plates.

Dave

Thanks Codfish, I'll check that out.

Yeah it's heavy enough as it is but if that's an issue I can always lose 5lbs and more than make up for it.

Thanks Dave, would that be the utah sportscycle 'R' skidplate or most any R skidplate?

Yeah it's heavy enough as it is but if that's an issue I can always lose 5lbs and more than make up for it.

Thanks Dave, would that be the utah sportscycle 'R' skidplate or most any R skidplate?

Not sure- they are all pretty similar, I think.

Dave

Dunno aboot minny-soda, but back in rocky ol' CT having both the stock crash bars and the skid plate was a good thing, especially since I used my XRL like a trials bike that could turn granite into gravel.

No loss in ground clearance.

I hear an XR650R skid plate can be put on, and it has even more side protection than any of the XRL/XR600R bash plates.

Dave

Not too many places with more rocks than the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and the Desert around Northern Nevada. The Utah Sportcycle skid plate on my XRR has taken lots of hits over the years without any problems. I guess if you don't mind the extra weight, more protection is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anal about weight, or I wouldn't be riding a BRP, but I try not to add weight unless needed. If I were the OP, I would add the Skid Plate, but lose the oem crash bars.

Not too many places with more rocks than the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and the Desert around Northern Nevada. The Utah Sportcycle skid plate on my XRR has taken lots of hits over the years without any problems. I guess if you don't mind the extra weight, more protection is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anal about weight, or I wouldn't be riding a BRP, but I try not to add weight unless needed. If I were the OP, I would add the Skid Plate, but lose the oem crash bars.

Anyone that has seen me ride (and biff) has seen why I have both, heh.

Dave

I have the Utah plate on my L. When I went to put it on the bike, I was going to leave the stock bars on. The problem (besides needing longer bolts for the front) is that it creates an angle between the plate and the bottom that isn't ideal. When you get the plate and have it in your hands, you'll probably realize how solid it is and toss the bars.

I have the Utah plate on my L. When I went to put it on the bike, I was going to leave the stock bars on. The problem (besides needing longer bolts for the front) is that it creates an angle between the plate and the bottom that isn't ideal. When you get the plate and have it in your hands, you'll probably realize how solid it is and toss the bars.

I wonder if they changed 'em?

Mine mounted right up, fit flat on the bars underneath. I didn't even use the front bolts, just used the 4 clamps.

Dave

I just mounted a Utah skid plate on my "L" last night and threw the stock bars in the trash! :)

I might do that then if you think it's better protection then the stock bars. When did you buy yours? How about you Dave, when did you get yours? Did you both buy the skid plate for the L? I'm wondering why one fit over the bars and one didn't.

here's sum pics of the R skidplate on a L...no ideal if it will fit over stock bars.

it's made by Ricochet and sold under many other names...Moose, MSR, Utah, etc...

...recently took a major frontal hit and didn't budge :)

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

:banghead:

:foul: Hey Kenzo, you shouldn't take close up pics of your bike I saw some dirt on it .:):banghead: :banghead:

+1, I got the UTAH "L" for the L and wish I had got the "R"

Both will mount up over the stock one. But it is a BYOCTH!!!

:lol: Hey Kenzo, you shouldn't take close up pics of your bike I saw some dirt on it .:banghead::lol: :lol:

Hey Robtard! :crazy:

...with hundreds of comedians out of work u shud REALLY employ one so u can have sum new material... :banghead:

u total lack of imagination rates a three bum salute... :foul::p:busted:

:lol:

P.S. trying to put a ride together next weekend at Cherokee just NW of College Station...chit, if ur nice i may let u wash my bike :)

Hey Robtard! :crazy:

...with hundreds of comedians out of work u shud REALLY employ one so u can have sum new material... :banghead:

u total lack of imagination rates a three bum salute... :foul::p:busted:

:lol:

P.S. trying to put a ride together next weekend at Cherokee just NW of College Station...chit, if ur nice i may let u wash my bike :)

That's the best you could come up with:moon: I would have thought someone with your high level of intellect :banghead: could have come up with something better.:lol: :lol: J/K

The ride at CS would be cool, but I am working next weekend:banghead: Would love to go, but must make money so I can play when I want.

P.S. Sorry to the OP for the hyjack.

P.P.S. Hey Kenny, wash this:moon: :lol:

here's sum pics of the R skidplate on a L...no ideal if it will fit over stock bars.

it's made by Ricochet and sold under many other names...Moose, MSR, Utah, etc...

...recently took a major frontal hit and didn't budge :)

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

Thanks for the pics Kenzo. I like the added protection you get from the R plate. I may go that route.

Hey Kenzo, I was wondering if the notch in the front of the guard for the oil drain was an original design, or did you have that added?

Hey Kenzo, I was wondering if the notch in the front of the guard for the oil drain was an original design, or did you have that added?

the v-notch, six larger vent holes on each side, mounting holes and brackets are all stock...

there is a rectangular cut-out behind the welded v-notched plate not sure why but the addition of the plate may be for added strength.

the only modifications i did was to take a UniBit to the bottom of the plate to add holes to wash mud & sand out :)

was gunna drill sum vent holes in front and a oil drain hole like the L plate but there has been no real increase in temps with the plate and keeping mud and sand outta there seemed more important...a shot of carb or brake cleaner is all that is needed after oil changes :banghead:

DSC01647.jpg