Sign in to follow this  

1985 Xt350

Anyone tell me how to fix this problem:

Start up the bike and it idel's just fine. Pull the clutch, drop into first gear and the engine dies. Take out of gear, start in nuetral, pull the clutch and drop into gear, and the engine dies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it????

thanks for comments.

Does the bike have a kickstand interlock switch? I had a 1985 XT350 and can't remember if it had one or not. Almost all Japanese dual sports have them. You can start the bike in neutral with the kickstand down but as soon as you put it in gear (with the kickstand still down) it will shut off the ignition. Most folks wire the leads together. With age, when the kickstand mount wears, it will allow the kickstand to bounce around when going over rough terrain, making the engine miss or hesitate.

Yes it does have the kick stand and the switch. Yes the kick stand does wabble.

I will try your suggestion.

thanks

I would check the kickstand switch and make sure that's not the problem first. If you still have problems make sure that your clutch is adjusted and that it is disengaging. On one bike I owned, it would die after putting it in gear after it sat over the winter or for any length. After awhile the clutch would dry out, so I would let it run in nuetral until the oil got nice and warm, then turn the bike off and tip the bike over towards the clutch pack and let it soak for several minutes while engaging and disengaging the clutch mulitple times. Once I could get in first without stalling, it would only take a couple blocks and everything was working normal again. Anyway, just a suggestion but my first guess is whats already been posted and it has something to do with the kickstand kill switch. Good luck.