Sign in to follow this  

Kouba Link Mystery

OK, I have a 2005 CRF450X, I am 5' 8" and it's hard to be confident in the super-nasty single track gnarlies when you can't tab a toe on the low side in an emergency like someone bailed in front of you on a nasty section forcing you to lose momentum.

So I finally scored a low hours Kouba CRF3 link which is the longest they make for my bike, it's supposed to lower the sat height 1.75". So here;s the mystery part: while I had the stock link off I compared it's length the the Kouba . . . . . and . . . . . they were exactly the same length!? How is this possible? Is it possible that the bike had a different brand of lowering link already? It looks just like the other stock linkage parts, untreated cast aluminum and not all shiny and anodated like the Kouba. The only marking on it was a cast "F053" and it does not have a grease fitting like the Kouba.

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed as obviously, it did not lower the seat height any. I was riding around with the shock preload backed way off to lower to seat and now, with the sag set at the Kouba-recommended 3.9"

the seat height is back in the tippy toe zone. Does anyone know what of link I had or what the measurement is of the stock 2005 CRF450X link is? This "stock" F053 link that I had measures 6.5" and a hair from outside long length to outside long length and 5 3/8" from inner connector center to inner connector center. Any help would be appreciated to I can solve this mystery.

The CRF4 is the lowest link.

2005-09 CRF450X

CRF2 .125"

CRF3 .75"

CRF4 1.75"

OK, I have a 2005 CRF450X, I am 5' 8" and it's hard to be confident in the super-nasty single track gnarlies when you can't tab a toe on the low side in an emergency like someone bailed in front of you on a nasty section forcing you to lose momentum.

So I finally scored a low hours Kouba CRF3 link which is the longest they make for my bike, it's supposed to lower the sat height 1.75". So here;s the mystery part: while I had the stock link off I compared it's length the the Kouba . . . . . and . . . . . they were exactly the same length!? How is this possible? Is it possible that the bike had a different brand of lowering link already? It looks just like the other stock linkage parts, untreated cast aluminum and not all shiny and anodated like the Kouba. The only marking on it was a cast "F053" and it does not have a grease fitting like the Kouba.

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed as obviously, it did not lower the seat height any. I was riding around with the shock preload backed way off to lower to seat and now, with the sag set at the Kouba-recommended 3.9"

the seat height is back in the tippy toe zone. Does anyone know what of link I had or what the measurement is of the stock 2005 CRF450X link is? This "stock" F053 link that I had measures 6.5" and a hair from outside long length to outside long length and 5 3/8" from inner connector center to inner connector center. Any help would be appreciated to I can solve this mystery.

Is it possible the link was put in upside down? I don't know if you can actually do that, BTW.

DOH!!! The CRF3 only lowers it 0.75". That doesn't explain why it was the same length as the "stock" link. Any one want to trade me a CRF4 for a CRF3 or sell me a good used one?

And no, putting it in upside down makes no difference.